Notifications

Business Central forum
Answered

Lot size on item

editSubscribe (0) ShareShare
ReportReport
Posted on by 40
hi experts,

I have 1 query, i want to know the usage of Lot Size field on item card. i tried different scenario with production and check the material cost,capacity cost but did'nt find out the usage of this field. please guide me what scenario i should test or specific transaction i need to check to see the impact of this field. please tell me the scenario?
Categories:
  • Verified answer
    Ben Baxter Profile Picture
    Ben Baxter 4,053 Super User on at
    Lot size on item
    Jun Wang is correct the Lot Size field on the Parent Item, with a Replenishment Policy of Prod. Order, impacts the Std. Cost Calculation of that Item, since the Setup Time is spread over a quantity greater than 1.

There is also a Lot Size field on a Production Order Routing line.  IF the routing line has the Lot Size greater than 1, it will shorten the duration of the routing operation.  This Lot Size field is used to define molds or simultaneous output.  If I can press 4 plastic cups in one cycle of a press, my Lot Size would be 4.  My capacity need is therefore decreased (Run Time x Quantity / Lot Size).

Best Regards,
    Ben Baxter
    Accent Software Inc
  • Suggested answer
    UL-01051925-0 Profile Picture
    UL-01051925-0 14 on at
    Lot size on item

The "Lot Size" field on an item card in a manufacturing or ERP system typically indicates the default quantity for production runs or purchase orders. To see its impact, test these scenarios:

1. Production Orders:

• Create a production order for the item. Observe if the lot size influences the default quantity in the order. This could affect material requirements planning (MRP) and production scheduling.
    2. Material Cost Calculation:

• If you have a standard lot size, check if it impacts material cost calculations for production orders. Some systems use this to determine the cost of raw materials for a given lot.
    3. Capacity Planning:

• Create capacity or resource planning schedules. See if the lot size affects the resource allocation or scheduling. Larger lot sizes may require more extended production time or additional resources.
    4. Purchase Orders:

• Create a purchase order for raw materials needed for the item. Check if the lot size influences the minimum or default quantity in the purchase order. Read more
  • Suggested answer
    Jun Wang Profile Picture
    Jun Wang 4,020 Super User on at
    Lot size on item

This Lot size field on item card is used in cost roll-up, which calculates the setup costs per unit.

For example, if the setup time for an operation is 80 minutes and the lot size is 10, then the setup cost per unit is 8. 

Jun Wang
  • Suggested answer
    gdrenteria Profile Picture
    gdrenteria 3,108 Super User on at

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Take the Community feedback survey!

Answer this brief 15-question survey about your Community experience…

Demystifying Copilot: Service Edition with Sundar Raghavan

Sundar answers more questions about Copilot for Service...

Dynamics 365 Business Central vs Finance and SCM

Take a look at the key differences between Business Central and…

Leaderboard

Andre Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

Andre Arnaud de Cal... 283,375 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 223,308 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,140

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans