how can I combine account numbers

This question is not answered

I am using the professional Sevice tools to Change/combine Account numbers.

I have an excel file with the old and new account numbers.  The validation process works fine.  When I click the button to combine account numbers I receive the message:\

You can not have the same Account Number in the From and To

you must choose a new Account Number of=r Skip this

Change/Combine

I have verified the excel file and there are not account numbers in the From Field that is also in the Two field.  I have also manually setup a spreadsheet with 6 numbers to combine, saved to a txt file and tried to combine those.  I receive the same message.  If I Combine one account at a time the process runs with no errors.

Can someone guide me as to what I might be missing here?

Thanks

All Replies
  • Paula,

I faced same problem and I documented in my blog here is link : sandipdjadhav.blogspot.com/.../professional-services-tools-import.html

Let me know it work for you or not.

Thanks

Sandip

Thanks Sandip Jadhav Cell : +1.210.440.9855 Dynamics GP Blog : http://sandipdjadhav.blogspot.com/
  • Thanks for the suggestion Sandip, but the file is a txt file with no header information.  I have combined account numbers in the past and they succeeded using the same type spreadsheet I am using currently.  I just can't get beyond the error

• Paula,

Is it Tab Delimited or CSV file? You need Tab Delimited file.

THanks

Sandip

Thanks Sandip Jadhav Cell : +1.210.440.9855 Dynamics GP Blog : http://sandipdjadhav.blogspot.com/
  • It is tab delimited

• You mentioned that when you run them individually they run fine. Are you sure you have no From/To columns mixed? For example:

1000 goes to 1010

2000 goes to 2010

3000 goes to 3010

4000 goes to 4010

5000 goes to 5010

1010 goes to 6010 - This one would cause a problem because you have 1000 going to 1010 while at the same time you are trying to change 1010 to 6010.

Richard E. Wheeler 2013 and 2014 MVP

Member Microsoft Academic Alliance

www.rbsolutions.com Revered Business Solutions Ballston Lake, NY  518-877-0763 x10

• positive, Ihad someone else look as well.  I even took two acounts and enter them onto a new import and tried to import just the 2 accounts and got the same error message

• I would now suspect you have bad data in the PSTL for this funciton. I would delete whatever you have imported and start all over. Can someone chime in with the proper table names?

Richard E. Wheeler 2013 and 2014 MVP

Member Microsoft Academic Alliance

www.rbsolutions.com Revered Business Solutions Ballston Lake, NY  518-877-0763 x10

• Hi,

I don't know how long the list is, but what did you use to verify? You can open the file in Excel, then use Rmove Duplicates in the Data Tab of Excel. It will let you know if there are any duplicates. Watch out for Excel, it has a bad habit of stripping leading zeros.

If you make your first colume all strings, you won't have that problem.

Kind regards,

Leslie

Leslie Vail, CPA, MVP, MCT, MCITP, MCP, MCITS
    ASCI, Inc.    *    PO Box 600965   *   Dallas, TX 75360    *   972-814-8550   *   leslievail@earthlink.net

• Thanks for the suggestion Leslie.  I used the data tab in excel to search and remove duplicaates.  The file is about 460 rows.  There were no duplicates.  

I am going to run a dex log to see if that shows me anything unusual.

• Paula,

I accidently sent this reply as an email message instead of a post

If you do not see in the log, I would try doing half of the file, for instance to see if you can drill down on your problem child. Also, make sure you do not have any extra rows at the bottom of your import file.

Kind regards,

Leslie

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 11, 2012, at 3:15 PM, Microsoft Dynamics GP Forum <dlcommed@microsoft.com> wrote:

Re: how can I combine account numbers

Replied to by PaulaCam1

Thanks for the suggestion Leslie.  I used the data tab in excel to search and remove duplicaates.  The file is about 460 rows.  There were no duplicates.  

I am going to run a dex log to see if that shows me anything unusual.

You can view this thread online.

To unsubscribe from only this thread, disable email notifications online .

ASCI, Inc.    *    PO Box 600965   *   Dallas, TX 75360    *   972-814-8550   *   leslievail@earthlink.net

• Leslie,

Thaks again for the reply.  The Dex log showed nothing that would point to a particular culprit.  One of the first things I tried was to import two account numbers and I received the same error message.  i then manually entered them onto a new spreadsheet and saved as delimited txt and tried to import the two.  I received the same error message.  At this point i am not sure how to proceed

• Paula,

I was able to combined Accounts Number in my GP2010 Test Enviornment. I found following details in Help file.

"Account Combiner works under the assumption that both accounts have the same

posting type — either Balance Sheet or Profit and Loss. You cannot combine a Balance

Sheet account into a Profit and Loss account or combine a Profit and Loss account into

a Balance Sheet account. The Beginning Balance entries would be invalid if you cross

match a Balance Sheet account with a Profit and Loss account."

Keep Modifier open after validate and run following query against company database and check from and Too Account No.

select * from TACHANGE

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Sandip

• Good point Sandip,

They shouldn't be able to switch one at a time either though.

Leslie

• At the end of the day, you may need to just use Mailmerge to create a macro that will type them in one at a time. The macro would be simple to write and it's fast.

Kind regards,

Leslie