Question Status

Unanswered
Terry Dickens asked a question on 5 Mar 2013 6:42 AM

I went into Tools-Customize-Modifier to see what it does.  Apparently, I created a Modifier for a window.  Now when I open that window it has a dot in front of the name. 

How do I remove this modifier and get back to using the base code?

I've researched this question on the web and don't see an answer

Richard Wheeler responded on 5 Mar 2013 8:20 AM

You can start by going to Tools->Setup->System->Alternate Forms and Reports and then find the modifed form and remove access to it. If you have no modified forms at all in GP you coiuld delete the FORMS.DIC file in your GP data subfiolder. Now if you have added VB code to this window you can go to this Window and then Tools->Customize->Remove Current Window from Visual Basic. You will know when you are succesfull because the dot in front of the form name will no longer be there,

Richard E. Wheeler 2013 and 2014 MVP

Member Microsoft Academic Alliance

www.rbsolutions.com Revered Business Solutions Ballston Lake, NY  518-877-0763 x10

Terry Dickens responded on 5 Mar 2013 11:18 AM

Thanks.  I tried those but they didn't seem to work.

First I did Tools-Customize-Remove Current Window from VB.  Then I renamed the FORMS.DIC file to ZZZFORMS.DIC.  But i still had the dot in front of the name.

There has been a customization to this screen (Enter/Match Invoices) by our consulting company.  But nobody else here gets the dot in front of the name.  I was trying to see what their customization is doing because it's not always working.  They added an Invoice Tolerance limit.  Is there a way to see this code?  I think it was done with Modifier.  

I'm brand new with GP and just trying to figure out how to make modifications.  Thanks for your help.

Richard Wheeler responded on 5 Mar 2013 12:41 PM

Try going to Tools->Customize->Customization Maintenance. Do you see any modified forms wirth VBA? If so,since you claim you have no modified forms, export out all your reports to a package file. Then exit GP and delete a file called DYNAMICS .VBA which youn will find in your GP 2010 program folder. Then launch GP and then go to Tools->Customize->Customization Maintenance and import that reports package file. This will clear out your DYNAMCIS.VBA file and remove the dot in fornt of the form in question.

www.rbsolutions.com Revered Business Solutions Ballston Lake, NY  518-877-0763 x10

Terry Dickens responded on 5 Mar 2013 2:15 PM

That still did not work.

Can I copy the contents from the GP2010 folder from someone else's PC to my PC?  Is there any harm in doing that?

Richard Wheeler responded on 5 Mar 2013 2:24 PM

Since you had GP installed on this machine, there is no harm in doing this. I do not understand where it thinks the modified form is kept. Do you use a local FORMS.DIC or a shared one? Once your delete or rename the FORMS.DIC and DYNAMICS.VBA files that is all there is, unless you have third party versions of those forms. Are there any third party products?

Terry Dickens responded on 5 Mar 2013 2:35 PM

I "think" all of the .DIC files are local.  When I go to the Edit Launch File window, that is what I'm seeing.

There are some customizations that our integrator built.  The .DIC files for those are local as well.  The (Enter/Match Invoices) screen is a screen that they customized.  But nobody else gets the dot in the name like I do.  

Tomorrow, I will copy the GP2010 folder from someone else and see if that clears up my problem.  Of course, my real problem is why the integrators customization isn't working.

Thanks for all of your help.  I've learn some things about GP today.  I'm brand new to it.

Richard Wheeler responded on 5 Mar 2013 2:42 PM

I am puzzled as well. If you want sometime on Wednesday I could remote over and give this a look see before you perform the copy. What are these Integrator Customizations to which you refer? Is this Integration Manager or truly something totally customized?

Terry Dickens responded on 6 Mar 2013 7:03 AM

Richard - thanks for your help.  Here's what I found out.

It turns out that some other users have the dot in front of their screen.  I didn't realize that.  Because the programmer I've been working with doesn't have the dot.  There is a customization that our integrator build.  It has a dictionary file.  If I don't have the dictionary file, then that screen won't load for me.  I thought other users had the dictionary file and not the dot.  So I thought somehow I added a modifer.

What really puzzles me is why the programmer doesn't have the dictionary file, but the screen loads for him.  And in his Edit Launch File, he references that dictionary file.  So it seems like he should get the same load error that I was getting before I added the dictionary file.

Richard Wheeler responded on 6 Mar 2013 7:28 AM

The dot before the form name means that you are using a modified version of the form. If this is a GP screen it will be in FORMS.DIC.  Now it is possible that your integrator has given you and alternate form and then modifications were then done to the alternate form so now you have a modified alternate form. Now depending on how your security is set up you may or may not be using the modifed alternate form. So, who's on first, what's on second and so on and so on. If you have the time I would start with a fresh installation of GP and then add one customization at a time. This way you can track down exactly which form you are accessignand which customization. I think the real issue hear is to determine which form has been modified and the dictionary in which this modified form resides. Somewhere along the way you should get a message about dictionary not being loaded. Once you get this the mystery will be solved.

Tommy Truong responded on 23 Apr 2013 5:49 PM

Terry,

Can you refer me to your consulting company? We are interested in adding an invoice tolerance limit to our Enter/Match invoices in GP 2010

Thanks,

Terry Dickens responded on 24 Apr 2013 5:08 AM

There is now a Professional Service Tools Library (PSTL) tool to allow for an Over Tolerance check based on percentage.  Ours does Over and Under on Percentage and Dollar amount.  So we couldn't use the PSTL tool.  Here's a link to an article on it.  www.calszone.com/.../51-microsoft-dynamics-gp-tools-now-available-with-free-professional-services-tools-library-pstl

Our partner is BKD.  Here is a link to their website:  www.dynamicsgpinsights.com

Hope this helps.