GP10 SP4 - Upgrading Windows and SQL Server

This question is not answered

I am looking to update Windows and SQL Server for our Great Plains server. Here is our current environment:

Great Plains 10.0 SP4
Windows Server 2008 R2 Std
SQL Server 2008 Std SP1
I would like to update Windows and SQL Server to:

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
SQL Server 2008 SP2
The System Requirements documentation says we should be good for upgrading Windows to SP1, but it is a little unclear about SQL Server. It says "with or without SP1," but I know of companies that are running GP 10 on SQL 2008 SP2.

Does anyone see a problem with this upgrade?

All Replies
  • Jon,

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP 1 should not be an issue, that is listed as supported.

To be compatible with SQL 2008 R2 you should be on SP 5 of GP 10.0.  

I have not seen any SQL service pack break anything in GP, so that is usually pretty safe.  I have also seen a few posts in various places that there should be no issues with SQL 2008 R2 SP 1 for GP.  All that said, until it's on the official system requirements page it may be still in testing and not "officially" supported.  I would actually be more concerned with GP not being on SP 5 than with the SQL service pack.

Also, I am a little confused by your comments at the end - are you actually on SQL 2008 SP 2, not R2?  Where the system requirements say "with or without SP 1," for SQL Server that is for SQL Server 2008, NOT for SQL Server 2008 R2 (which is technically a different release).

• Victoria,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry for the confusion. The database is SQL 2008, not SQL 2008 R2. Service Pack 2 for SQL 2008 has been out for a few months and was concernced if anyone has any issues with SQL 2008 Service Pack 2, using GP 10 SP4.

Thank you,

Jon

• Hi Jon,

Thanks for the clarification.  I think that SP 2 has been out for more than a year, and I know I have customers on it, but I see it's not part of the official system requirements.  I would suspect this is absolutely fine, but I will post a question to support about it and let you know if they say anything otherwise.

• Thank you, Victoria. I suspect it is fine too, since SQL 2008 SP1 service end date is 10/11/2011.