Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM forum
Answered

How to associate Contacts from a lead to an account

Posted on by Microsoft Employee

As the subject suggests i want to be able to relate associated contacts from a lead to and account thats created when the lead is qualified, and probably opportunities aswell.

I've tried a couple of things like workflows but i cant seem to get one where the related contacts is a selectable entitiy

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at
    RE: How to associate Contacts from a lead to an account

As we were moving towards 2013, i ended up working around it using stakeholders (connections in 2011) to achieve this, still takes some playing around.

I had to create a contact and relate it, but on the contact form you cant enter an account (as one hadn't been created due to it still being a lead)

So theres a couple of mapping issues once the lead does become an account etc

Seems to be easier in 2013 though.

Thank you Aileen.

best wishes

harihar

• Suggested answer
    Aileen Gusni Profile Picture
    Aileen Gusni 44,520 on at

Hi Harihar,

Plugin should work on it.

Thanks.

Steve, How did you end up doing the association? Please share your experience and what approach you took.

harihar

• Suggested answer
    Aileen Gusni Profile Picture
    Aileen Gusni 44,520 on at

Hi Steve,

Once you qualify a Lead you can create Contact or Account or even can link to the existing Contact or Account by Out of the box functions.

Related to your question, the related associated contacts and Lead is a custom relationship? Means that you created many associate contact with Lead? Or 1 Lead to 1 Contact with system relationship?

If you want to associate the Contact from Lead to Account once qualified, you need to:

1. Create a plugin or custom workflow activity

2. With logic: Get all of relate associated Contact, which I am confused, this is N:N Relationship, N:1 or 1:N Relationship because it will give different logic of code.

3. And then you link the contact to account and opportunity, but, if you are using the standard process, by default, the Account and Opportunity created during Lead qualification will also linked to the Contact in the OOB Lead function, unless you customized the new relationship.

4. You can register the plugin once Lead changed status or qualified and also if an Account/Opportunity are created, Account and Opportunity will have origination lead field that you can use this Lead ID to get all of related Lead.

5. Once you register it, it will give you the functionality you want.

Standard workflow don't think can be working because if you are referring to Lead-Contact 1 to many relationship, but if 1 Lead only can link to 1 Contact then it is possible using Workflow.

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

• Verified answer

You would need to write a plugin to do the association

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,696 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,490 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans