Skip to main content

Notifications

Microsoft Dynamics RMS forum
Suggested answer

Scanner won't read bar code

Posted on by 100

Am helping in transition of gift shop between owners. Have RMS and can't get the scanner to read new bar code labels. Still reads old ones fine.Am I missing something?

• Suggested answer
    Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at
    RE: Scanner won't read bar code

Please make sure that the barcodes being printed are in a high enough resolution that they print correctly and can be properly read.

I couldn't scan barcodes printed by my DYMO LabelWriter 450 Turbo, and then I realized that there is a setting in the printer properties to change the default printing from 300 x 300 dpi to 300 x 600 dpi. After I changed the settings and printed my new, higher-resolution barcodes, I had no problems with my scanner reading them.

• Community Member Profile Picture

Hi, getlink.

I wonder whether it is the latest version of the Barcode Scanner? I am also looking for a fine barcode scanner whose way of processing is simple and fast to help me read 128 barcode. It will be better if it offers free trials for users to check. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.       

Best regards, 

Arron

• getlink Profile Picture
    getlink 5 on at

maybe you need to update the barcode scanner, so it will contain the scanner type you are reading. it works for some barcode generators.

in this way, you will get extra information.  please select the right barcode type before reading.

• Suggested answer
    Community Member Profile Picture

use Code128B or Code128C to print the barcode labels.  These work with everything.  Also scan into notepad and see if the numbers are the same as what is in the system.  If the numbers don't match exactly then you will have to reprogram the scanner.  you will need the code manual form the metrologic website which is now part of Honeywell.  

Also if you post the number in the system and the number scanned into notepad.  I can tell you which page and what to scan to make the scanner function correctly.

If you cant scan into notepad then your scanner needs a driver or the metrowedge program so is dead, which should be replaced.

Is it a USB or Serial Scanner? Try opening a program like notepad and try scanning a UPC code. The data of the UPC code should appear on the notepad screen?  It should also go to a new line, like if you manually hit the return key. If this works - it means your scanner works and recognizing the UPC format.

Dan

• MochaMedicine Profile Picture
    MochaMedicine 100 on at

Scanner is a Metrologic MS9540

Labels are being printed from within RMS.

The item number is 11 digits long, but there are old numbers that are that length as well. I have tried printing in 2 of 5 and UPC. Nothing works.

The scanner might need reprogrammed or the items need added to the database.

We basically need more information to help you.  

Are the new labels printed from RMS or from the manufacture/supplier?  What make and model is your scanner?

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Dynamics 365 Community Update – Sep 16th

Welcome to the next edition of the Community Platform Update. This is a weekly…

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,462 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,366 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates