Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Power Platform integration forum
Suggested answer

Update work order state direct from a Canvas App

Posted on by 10

Hi Everyone,

This is my first attempt to create a Canvas App for the Fin & Ops Asset Management Work Orders

I am Using Virtual Tables in Dataverse and can see all data.

I am trying to Patch the 'mserp_status' field to update the Work Order State but get the Error the Column is not Allowed o be updated. 

I check the Dataverse tables and its read only.

Does anyone have any experience with updating the Work Order State from a Canvas App button?

pastedimage1679487153614v1.png

Thanks

Paul

• Parag Chapre Profile Picture
    Parag Chapre 12,231 Super User on at
    RE: Update work order state direct from a Canvas App

Hi Paul,

Please send me a dm. I will show you how you can use Power Apps and Power Automate together.

• Paul DIlks Profile Picture
    Paul DIlks 10 on at

Hi Shawn, Thank you very much the time given for your detailed response!

Yeah I can see the Dataverse table column is read-only while others are Read-Write. So guessed this wasn't the approach.

My next thought was to us the Fin & Ops Connector within PowerApps but you cant see the data to check if its read-Only or not and the Same Patch or form Update doesn't seem to work either

My 3rd option is to user power Automate but this requires the Object id but cant find any information on this and how to pass it in via PowerApps.

I Get this error.

Only 1 of 8 keys provided for lookup, provide keys for dataAreaId,WorkOrderId,WorkOrderLineNumber,ScheduleType,WorkerPersonnelNumber,MaintenanceAssetId,WrkCtrId,ScheduledStartDateTime.

Iv tried to satisfy with the fields by doing a Concatenate on all these fields and pass that into the flow then get this error,

Only 9 of 8 keys provided for lookup, provide keys for dataAreaId,WorkOrderId,WorkOrderLineNumber,ScheduleType,WorkerPersonnelNumber,MaintenanceAssetId,WrkCtrId,ScheduledStartDateTime.

When I check the flow run I think its taking the ',' in the Date format and thinking its 9 instead of 8

pastedimage1679577931796v1.png

I feel I am so close.

Best regards

Paul

Paul DIlks 10 on at

Ok great I look forward to seeing it

• Parag Chapre Profile Picture

Hi Paul,

I am making another video on Sales order creation in detailed. This will include the odata post action which writes data in D365 F&O.

Paul DIlks 10 on at

Hi Parag, Thank you so much for your reply, You talk about updating with Power Automate but you don't show in the video how you did this? Do you have something?

When I try it needs the Object ID but fails each time with the below

Only 1 of 8 keys provided for lookup, provide keys for dataAreaId,WorkOrderId,WorkOrderLineNumber,ScheduleType,WorkerPersonnelNumber,MaintenanceAssetId,WrkCtrId,ScheduledStartDateTime.

Have you come across this before?

Where do I get the Object id?

Capture.PNG

Thanks once again

Paul

• Suggested answer
    Shawnsauve Profile Picture
    Shawnsauve 1,087 on at

Using virtual tables in Dataverse is a great way to see all the data you need.

Regarding your issue with updating the 'mserp_status' field, it's possible that the column is not allowed to be updated due to it being read-only in the Dataverse table. It's important to check the table properties to confirm this.

If the column is read-only, you'll need to find another way to update the Work Order State. One way to do this is to create a custom API or a plugin in Fin & Ops Asset Management that can update the state of the Work Order based on the input you provide.

Another option is to use a different field that is not read-only and map it to the 'mserp_status' field in Dataverse. This will allow you to update the Work Order State indirectly.

It's also possible that there may be specific permissions required to update the Work Order State, so it's important to confirm that you have the necessary permissions to make updates.

Overall, updating the Work Order State from a Canvas App button is definitely possible, but it may require some additional steps and workarounds depending on the limitations of the Dataverse table and the Fin & Ops Asset Management system.

Good luck with your project!

• Suggested answer
    Parag Chapre Profile Picture

Hi Paul,

When the entity is read-only then you cannot update anything.

Another option is to use Power Apps with Power automate.

You can create a Power apps with data from VE and use Power automate to update the data using ODATA.

Please look at my blog post on how I create customer in Dynamics 365 F&O using Power apps and power automate. If you have any questions then reach out to me.

paragchapre.com/.../

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,989 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,588 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans