Question Status

Suggested Answer
Diana Feile asked a question on 18 Jul 2012 1:42 PM

We want a report viewer (who has generator rights) to also be able to change the report paramaters ; so be prompted for what month to run the report for.  I thought this cuuld be done, but maybe we need to go to 2012?

Thank you.

Suggested Answer
Ryan Sandness responded on 2 Aug 2012 10:17 AM

Hi Diana,

Reports already in the Report Library/Viewer are already generated reports that cannot be modified other than adding comments/charts. That user would need to log into Designer and genreate the report there.

Alternatively, if you want to keep reports up-to-date you can setup a schedule in Management Reporter to generate reports every few hours or daily, or whatever you need. That way that user can just check back regularly to get up-to-date numbers.

Thanks

Ryan

Suggested Answer
Ryan Sandness responded on 28 Sep 2012 1:06 PM

All report generation can be accomplished through the Report Designer. We have security roles so you can select if a user should be a viewer, generator, designer, or administrator. If you have a user setup as a generator they will be able to refresh a report through Report Designer, and will still be secured so that they can't edit reports.

Suggested Answer
cgust responded on 1 Oct 2012 6:47 AM

I think what's confusing you is that they need to go into the Management Reporter Designer to do this, just that they will only have access to the "Generator" role features.  

Suggested Answer
Ryan Sandness responded on 2 Aug 2012 10:17 AM

Hi Diana,

Reports already in the Report Library/Viewer are already generated reports that cannot be modified other than adding comments/charts. That user would need to log into Designer and genreate the report there.

Alternatively, if you want to keep reports up-to-date you can setup a schedule in Management Reporter to generate reports every few hours or daily, or whatever you need. That way that user can just check back regularly to get up-to-date numbers.

Thanks

Ryan

Geoff James responded on 23 Sep 2012 10:59 PM

Hi Ryan,

In FRx you could use Report launcher to generate reports. The licence allowed several Report launchers. Now there are Generator/Viewer licences on VOICE for Management Reporter. The Viewer does not seem to allow a Report Launcher selection. You have suggested setting up a Schedule, but it does not allow the user to be able to generate their selection. (e.g different trees etc). Is Microsoft going to allow generator features for the viewer?

Regards,

Geoff James

Regards

Geoff James

Suggested Answer
Ryan Sandness responded on 28 Sep 2012 1:06 PM

All report generation can be accomplished through the Report Designer. We have security roles so you can select if a user should be a viewer, generator, designer, or administrator. If you have a user setup as a generator they will be able to refresh a report through Report Designer, and will still be secured so that they can't edit reports.

Suggested Answer
cgust responded on 1 Oct 2012 6:47 AM

I think what's confusing you is that they need to go into the Management Reporter Designer to do this, just that they will only have access to the "Generator" role features.  

Geoff James responded on 1 Oct 2012 9:47 PM

Hi Ryan & cgust,

Thank you for the explanations. I now understand the Security Roles and how they can be used.

Regards,

Geoff James

Regards

Geoff James

Vikas Mehta 21 responded on 21 Mar 2013 4:57 AM

Hi Ryan & cgust,

Is it possible for a user with 'ADMINISTRATOR' rights in the library permissions to edit a report in "MR REPORT VIEWER" .

I see no option in there to do this whereas the same user is able to edit the report in "MR REPORT DESIGNER".

I am using MR 2012.

Thanks and Regards,

Vikas Mehta.

Verify the solution if it meets your demand

Ryan Sandness responded on 21 Mar 2013 2:29 PM

Hi Vikas,

Can you let me know what sort of edits you had in mind?

Currently we follow a model where reports are designed and generated through Report Designer, and reports are viewed through Report Viewer. We also utilize scheduled reports so that if you need to have reports updated regularly with new transactions, the scheduling allows for reports to be automatically updated as-needed.

Thanks!

Ryan

Vikas Mehta 21 responded on 22 Mar 2013 12:23 AM

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your response.

What I meant is that a user who has access(Admin) to the report in the Report viewer ,can he change the parameters or some value in the report or he needs to go through Report Designer to do so.

Thanks and Regards,

Vikas Mehta.

Verify the solution if it meets your demand