SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Where to enter measures and in what unit measure?

Microsoft Dynamics AX Forum

Ulti001 asked a question on 3 Jan 2016 8:40 AM
My Badges

Question Status

Verified

Hi,

For shipping/ intrastat we need weights. Where to enter those and what unit (cm, m, kg) to use if items are sold and picked per piece (PCS)?

In below screenshot: what weight dimension to be used for item (pcs) x in physical dimensions for warehouse?

Same for 'manage inventory': what to enter if purchase/ order/ inventory are pcs (pieces)?

J.

Fredrik Sætre responded on 3 Jan 2016 10:45 AM
My Badges

I believe that there is a default setting for this in the inventory management parameters. Normally kilos.

Steven Weaver responded on 3 Jan 2016 12:52 PM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Look at the system unit in the units table. However ultimately it is up to you and how you configure the system:

System unit

Unit of measure that is applied when a measurement or quantity is entered in fields in Microsoft Dynamics AX that are not associated with a specific unit of measure.

Say that you have a company where kg is set as the system unit. In this company, any weight measurement in the Mass unit class, such as net weight, that is entered for an inventory item is identified as kg

Ulti001 responded on 3 Jan 2016 1:04 PM
My Badges

Hi,

I cannot find the table where system unit = true/false is set to see what is set up. Kg is empty as you see in image below. For every metric you can only set one system unit then?

I do not see the system unit in 'warehouse management parameters' and also not in 'inventory mngt parameters'. So setup is defined under organization --> units ?

We have very small parts of grammes and kilos. Can I increment the rounding so that more digits can be used to store the kg?

J.

J.

Steven Weaver responded on 3 Jan 2016 1:18 PM
My Badges
Verified Answer

For every unit class you can only set one default. You need to decide how the company views weights and the users creating the records.

You cannot increment the rounding as standard.

Setup is indeed under units.

Ulti001 responded on 3 Jan 2016 1:22 PM
My Badges

Thank you. There is no system unit set up also not a base unit. I understand those are required for proper handling of units?

Ulti001 responded on 3 Jan 2016 1:26 PM
My Badges

technet.microsoft.com/.../hh209233.aspx

I came across of these and I believe that is required. Base unit is to automate conversions between unit class.

Steven Weaver responded on 3 Jan 2016 1:28 PM
My Badges

That depends upon your definition of proper!

Ulti001 responded on 3 Jan 2016 1:30 PM
My Badges

'proper' is that the system reflects what users are doing and that some rule/setup is defined.

Steven Weaver responded on 3 Jan 2016 1:35 PM
My Badges

You can set it up which defines a rule. However you can set kg up as the system weight default but that does not mean the user has to enter the value in that unit

Ulti001 responded on 3 Jan 2016 1:41 PM
My Badges

So if we choose kg with 0,00 digits we can not define mg on the items?

1 kg = 1000 g = 1.000.000 mg

0,1 kg = 100 g = 1.00.000 mg

0,01 kg = 10 g = 10.000 mg

I am worried for the intrastat. We have products in 15 kg and screws and nuts in mg. So how to fit in those for intrastat and customs?

Steven Weaver responded on 3 Jan 2016 2:31 PM
My Badges

Met mass on intrastat is rounded to the nearest kg. If you sell 1x screw you have an issue if the weight is 1mg, but your inventory uom does not have to be an each.

Ultimately you can only have one default per  class, intrastat wants kg, you then have to look at the config of the item and what you can and cannot do and whether you then handle that part manually.

Steven Weaver responded on 3 Jan 2016 1:18 PM
My Badges
Verified Answer

For every unit class you can only set one default. You need to decide how the company views weights and the users creating the records.

You cannot increment the rounding as standard.

Setup is indeed under units.

Steven Weaver responded on 3 Jan 2016 12:52 PM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Look at the system unit in the units table. However ultimately it is up to you and how you configure the system:

System unit

Unit of measure that is applied when a measurement or quantity is entered in fields in Microsoft Dynamics AX that are not associated with a specific unit of measure.

Say that you have a company where kg is set as the system unit. In this company, any weight measurement in the Mass unit class, such as net weight, that is entered for an inventory item is identified as kg

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS