Personalized Community is here!
Quickly customize your community to find the content you seek.
Check out the latest Business Central updates!Learn about the key capabilities and features of Dynamics 365 Business Central and experience some of the new features.
Download overview guide | Watch Business Central video
2021 Release Wave 2Discover the latest updates and new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.
2021 release wave 2 plan
The FastTrack program is designed to help you accelerate your Dynamics 365 deployment with confidence.
FastTrack Community | FastTrack Program | Finance and Operations TechTalks | Customer Engagement TechTalks | Upcoming TechTalks | All TechTalks
Today we set up Common Data Service connection for our Business Central environment.
I really appreciate Renato Fajdiga for his blog about this topic but I think I could add more details to that. Also I'm planning additional articles about CDS integration and you'll need initial setup to start with.
So let's begin:
1. First of all - we need CDS environment. Go to https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/environments and check your environments. I want to use new trial environment for test, so I click on +New action:
2. Input Name, select Trial type (remember - you can have only 1 trial environment), choose region and select "Create a database for this environment"
3. Here is very important point - Currency. It must be the same as you have in Business Central as local currency. So if you have US localization for example - choose USD instead of EUR. Other values I left as default.
4. Click Save and you'll get your environment on the list after some time.
5. Now we need 2 users on Power platform to build our connection - Admin user and non-admin CDS user.
Click on your environment -> Choose Settings -> User + Permissions -> Users.
If you already have 2 users which you can use - nothing to do here. Otherwise create new one on Active directory, assign power platform license to it and add it here with +New action:
6. Now we need to manage user's roles. Click on "Manage users in Dynamics 365" action:
Environment management will open, select needed user and press "Manage Roles":
Both users should have next roles:
Admin user also should have:
And non-admin user should have:
now you have all that you need and we can open Business Central to setup the connection.
7. Click on Assisted Setup -> Set up Common Data Service Connection:
8. Click on next:
9. If you have several CDS environments - you'll get window with environment selection Choose needed:
10. On next window click on Sign in with admin credentials:
11. Input Admin user login and password.
12. After you'll see that admin is signed in - click next and input non-admin CDS user credentials:
13. On next window we need to choose Ownership model - for this test leave it as Team:
14. Press Finish on final window and our quest is over:
15. Finally you'll see the sync window. It could contain record or could be blank - depends on is it the first setup to environment or not.
So congratulations - setup complete. In next article I'll show you how to replicate custom data from Business Central to CDS.
Business Applications communities