I previously wrote a post about the basics of the new Dynamics CRM 2016 Voice of the Customer feature (also known as surveys for the common ear).

However, in my testing I’ve seen instances where my Survey Responses weren’t being created in Dynamics CRM. Remember, this feature is using Azure Web Services so that the Survey and Response Data are synchronized between Dynamics CRM and Azure to take the heavy survey workload off of your transactional Dynamics CRM database.  Therefore a delay in responses getting created is expected, but not a delay of hours or days like I had seen.

In order to see if your VoC jobs are running correctly, go to to Settings –> System –> System Jobs.  Perform a quick search for v* to pull back jobs that begin with the letter v.   What I saw were that there didn’t appear to be a system job running for the past month.

If you do come across this scenario, below are a few things you can do to get your Survey Responses to appear in CRM.

SNAGHTML2904ea6

Retrigger Response Processing from the Solution

The simplest fix is to navigate to the Voice of the Customer Solution (Settings –> Customization –> Solutions –> VoiceOfTheCustomer).  From the Configuration Page, you should see a link to “Retrigger response processing if responses are not received within 15 minutes of being completed” – click that and you should initiate a pull from Azure to pull this data back into Dynamics CRM.

Look at the System Jobs

Another thing you can do is open up your most recent Voice of the Customer System Jobs to see why they stopped.  In my example below it appeared as if a record in the system that was needed for the workflow was deleted.  In this example the check statement is checking the Voice of the Customer Configuration record so it appears as if that record may have been deleted at some point which caused the workflow to fail and stop processing.  This leads me to the next resolution step.

Delete and Recreate the Configuration Record

The Voice of the Customer Configuration record may have been deleted / manually recreated.  However, the only supported way for the Voice of the Customer solution to successfully process and return survey results to Dynamics CRM is to have the configuration record created from the Voice of the Customer Solution. 

Therefore if you have a Configuration record currently (which may had been manually created by someone), you need to first off delete this Configuration record. 

Note:  Before you do so, make note that when you delete this record and recreate it, you’ll need to recreate your surveys as the existing surveys will no longer work.  They’ll work in a sense that users will be able to hit them and fill them out, but results will no longer ever be returned to them.  This probably isn’t a big deal because the reason you’re going through this troubleshooting is because the records weren’t being returned in the first place.

Navigate to the solution in Settings –> Solutions –> Voice of the Customer.  On the Configuration tab of the solution, go through the same process you did when you initially setup Voice of the Customer which is check off the agreement to the terms and conditions, and then click on Enable Voice of the Customer. 

If you navigate to System Jobs once again, and filter on those that start with v*, you should see the workflows running successfully periodically and your survey responses should start to flow in for your new survey.  Remember, your old survey and workflows you created with the old survey email snippet will need to be recreated so new survey responses can start to be processed.