Personalized Community is here!
Quickly customize your community to find the content you seek.
Choose your path Increase your proficiency with the Dynamics 365 applications that you already use and learn more about the apps that interest you. Up your game with a learning path tailored to today's Dynamics 365 masterminds and designed to prepare you for industry-recognized Microsoft certifications.
Visit Microsoft Learn
2020 Release Wave 2Discover the latest updates and new features to Dynamics 365 planned through March 2021.
Release overview guides and videos Release Plan | Preview 2020 Release Wave 2 TimelineWatch the 2020 Release Wave 1 virtual launch event
Ace your Dynamics 365 deployment with packaged services delivered by expert consultants. | Explore service offerings
Connect with the ISV success team on the latest roadmap, developer tool for AppSource certification, and ISV community engagements | ISV self-service portal
The FastTrack program is designed to help you accelerate your Dynamics 365 deployment with confidence.
FastTrack Program | Finance TechTalks | Customer Engagement TechTalks | Upcoming TechTalks
Describe your infrastructure:
The issue appears on the following infrastructure:
- Windows Server 2016 with all Dynamics CRM Roles beside the SQL-Services
- Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2016 and Reporting Services
This infrastructure was set up from scratch about two weeks ago. We've used the Dynamics CRM 2016 Installation Disc out of the VLSC. After the basic installation, we've removed the default organization and applied the following patches:
Additionally we've installed a german Languagepack, wich was patched, too. When I'm clicking now on Options --> About, it shows the following version:
Microsoft Dynamics® CRM 2016(126.96.36.1992) (DB 188.8.131.522)
We then created some new organizations on the server as well as imported some "old" instances, which were on a 8.1 patchlevel before. But the error applies to both cases.
Describe your Problem:
If the display language of the current user is set to english, and we open an opportunity, everything looks pretty good:
But if the display language is set to german, the whole mask looks different. I don't care about the look, but somehow the "next stage" button got invisible:
He is not removed, its just a white button on white background. If i use my cursor to highlight the right corner, i am able to see and click it:
As funny as it seems to be at the first sight, it's really awful... I can't advise our customers to click invisible buttons. Do you have any idea how we can fix this, or can you relate to this problem? Thanks in advance!
This is weird.. You can probably raise CRM support ticket for this.
Other way I can think of is unsupported - just press F12 and click on the "Next Stage" - the invisible button - and see what css it is getting inherited from You can then go the CRM installation folder and change the css directly to some other color than white.
sorry for the delayed answer, i was hoping for other users who were facing this problem as well.
Have you ever raised a CRM support ticket? To be honest, I don't really know where I can do this...
I guess I'll try to manipulate the css-Files, as i need to edit them anyway... MS still uses #0000 as font color for the notes. They don't even try to fix the easiest bugs.
Do understand you concern here. However I am pretty sure that if you log it as support ticket then this will be fixed.
You can raise ticket using customersource. Here is the link :
shame on me... I forgot to patch the Languagepack as well. This resulted in some strange visual bugs. Thank you so much for your time, I can only apologize for this mistake.
All the best,
Hi thank you, I'm having exactly the same issue and I hope our customer will tell me the patch for the language pack is missing too! :)
Business Applications communities