Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Suggested answer

How to move purchase order to another company?

Posted on by 39
I had a new trainee practice on a trial company with Purchase Orders and Inventory Put-Away. She left them open so that we can actually process them in a live company. How would I move those over? Configuration Package?

The companies are in the same environment. I'd love it if I could also import them into other environments as a backup to check each day.

The Purchase Orders contain locations and the Inv. Put-Aways have Lot#, Exp. Dates, Bin Codes, etc.

Thanks.
  • Suggested answer
    Jun Wang Profile Picture
    Jun Wang 5,517 Super User on at
    it is a bit weird to create purchase order in a testing company and move to a live company to process. Normally people randomly fill out documents in a testing company just for testing. I might not worth the efforts to validate if those documents are correct, not to mention you might have trouble to move them around via configuration package. 

I'll suggest you to create those manually in live so the data is from the live company and would be processed correctly. 

Jun Wang
  • Suggested answer
    HVGEEL Profile Picture
    HVGEEL 286 on at
    No matter how tempting the idea of 'moving the order' sounds... please consider processing the document all over again in your production company.

There is literraly too much at stake. As you mentioned in your post, everything must match... not just the Vendotr No and the item references. Also the Lot#, Exp. Dates, Bin Codes...

You will invest more time in setting up the COnf Pack and inject a lot of uncertainty in prcessing it.

I propose a head-to-head competition: have someone set up the conf pack... have another user manually process the document.
    I know where to place my bet.
  • gdrenteria Profile Picture
    gdrenteria 4,883 Super User on at
    Hi
    What our colleague has told us is correct, you must have many considerations when trying to copy a document from one place to another, customer, vendors, g/laccount, items, unit of measurement, locations. Several things.
    There is no native functionality that copies them directly to you. Once you meet all the consideration premises, you could rely on the configuration package or a particular development.
    BR
    GR
  • Suggested answer
    Saurav.Dhyani Profile Picture
    Saurav.Dhyani 14,577 User Group Leader on at
    Hi,

Yes, you can do it via configuration package if master records are same as vendor, item or g/l account and posting setup are same.

But there are so many additional tables that I would suggest to manually create them in production / Live.

Regards,
    Saurav Dhyani

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,696 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,490 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans