Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Suggested answer

Deploying to Production and future updates

Posted on by 23
Hi. My extension besides some reports includes a table and a page for the users to enter some data. I was able to publish an initial version to Production, enter some data, uploaded a second version and saw the data was still there. Now, I thought that by uploading a second version this was going to replace the first one but when I went to installed extension there were the two versions, none of them were installed. So, I unpublished the first one and installed the second one and now my data is gone and I'm afraid this will happen any time I upload a new version. Our vendor has its own extension and in the installed extension page only shows once, and when looking at the installation status page I can see a long list of all their previous versions, so can anybody help explaining what is the best way to manage extension updates? Every time I upload a new version should I delete the previous one? or is there a way to indicate I want to replace the previous one? and more importantly, what should I do to not loss the data entered in a previous version? Any help will be appreciated!
  • Suggested answer
    YUN ZHU Profile Picture
    YUN ZHU 69,657 Super User 2024 Season 2 on at
    Hi, Did you change the app id? Generally, if you do not execute the Delete Orphaned Extension Data action, the data will remain in the environment.

In addition, there are some factors that may cause data loss.
    Business Central 2021 wave 2 (BC19): In-depth testing for Force Sync mode in Production Environment (Renaming tables, Renaming fields, Changing field type…)

Hope this helps.
    Thanks.
    ZHU
  • criztina Profile Picture
    criztina 23 on at
    Thank you for replying. We haven't had this problem when publishing to the sandbox, there was always only one extension in the Installed Extension page, this is happening only in Prod, do you know what things should I verify to make sure the extension is designed correctly?
  • Suggested answer
    Sami Ullah Profile Picture
    Sami Ullah 245 on at
    Hi,
    Do not manually unpublish the previous version of the extension. When a new version is uploaded, Business Central should automatically handle the update if the extension is designed correctly. Uninstalling the old version manually may result in data loss, as it clears the data tables. For future updates, simply upload the new version without unpublishing the previous one.

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,532 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,501 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates