Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Supply Chain Management forum
Answered

Serial number amendment

Posted on by 9
Hi,

Once an item is on stock and in the warehouse, is there a way to manually edit the serial number against the item? 

Obviously you can reverse the PO and book back in again, or zero the stock and add back on but I'd rather avoid both of those and instead just manually adjust the serial number if possible.

I have looked in Stock management > Enquiries and reports > Tracking dimensions > Serial numbers and can search to find the specific one. After clicking edit the serial number is grey'd out. Just wondering if this is a roles and responsibilities issue, or if you actually can't manually change.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
  • André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture
    André Arnaud de Cal... 288,584 Super User on at
    Serial number amendment
    Correct, Stephen,

My blog from several years ago was on a project, but the features how to rename records is available for many more tables. It works with the serial numbers as well. Note that in between the user interface has another look, but the approach didn't change. 
  • SF2023 Profile Picture
    SF2023 9 on at
    Serial number amendment
    Thanks for the responses, it is pretty much as I thought as it is the same in SAP too.

I've read the article Andre (thank you) and think this is on project, rather than in inventory items.
  • Verified answer
    Hana Xue Profile Picture
    Hana Xue Microsoft Employee on at
    Serial number amendment
    Hi,
    It is also impossible to edit the serial number in the trial environment. Apart from the method you mentioned, there seems to be no better way. You can also try Andre's method for setting it up.

It is also impossible to edit the serial number in the trial environment. Apart from the method you mentioned, there seems to be no better way. Try looking for old threads with similar questions that also say the method you mentioned. You can also try Andre's method for setting it up.
    https://www.dynamicsuser.net/t/same-serial-number-even-serial-number-control-enabled/47799
    Best Regards,
    Hana
  • Suggested answer
    André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture
    André Arnaud de Cal... 288,584 Super User on at
    Serial number amendment
    HI Steve,

It is possible to change the serial number using the Rename record feature. You can read about this on my blog: How to rename records in Microsoft Dynamics AX7 (dynamicspedia.com)

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,584 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,864 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans