Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Answered

MPS for Components on all level codes

Posted on by 45
Hi All,

I have set up a MPS for a production company. I will try to be as detailed as possible. Hopefully someone can point me towards the right direction. 

Man Setup:
Dynamic Low level Code: Yes
Combined MPS/MRP calculation: Yes
Use Forecast on Location: Yes
Combined MRP/MPS: Yes

SKUs are used. There are two production locations and one sales location and multiple stock locations for components. 

The way this is setup is that there is a sales forecast that is used for the one sales location

The sales location has only items that have a replenishment system of transfer, which they get from production location finished Goods. Alls SKUs in the sales location are setup as lot-for-lot with a lot accumulation period filled in. 

The Finished Goods location gets their finished products with a replenishment system of Prod. Order. and the components are also there with a replenishment system of Transfer. The transfer from location is either one of the multiple stock locations for components or the second production location which produces semi-finished goods that get used as components into the finished goods. As Prod. Order SKUs regardless of it being a semi-finished good or transfer item, use the lot-for-lot system with accumulation periods filled in. 

With the Semi-finished goods, there are prod order SKUs and transfer SKUs. (Replenishment system: Prod Order or Transfer). For all of these SKUs again a lot-for-lot planning is used with corresponding lot accumulation period stated. 

At last but not least, the stock locations which consist of multiple locations use SKUs as well with either fixed Reorder Qty. or Lot-for-lot. 

Problem:
When testing the MPS I do get calculations for all components at all low-level codes. My issue is that the suggestions does not behave in the way I would expect it to. 

The main problem here being: when we are calculating the need for a low level component which gets used in multiple products, we do not get the expected output. 

Example:
We have a product that is used within 10 semi-finished goods. which themselves are used within 16 finished goods. So there is is one to many relationship from component to semi-finished good. And them again for semi-finished good to Finished Good. 

The only item forecasted are the finished Goods. SO when calculating MPS for all the finished Goods that use the semi-fnished goods and then in turn the component, we do not get the expected results for the component. The finished Good and semi finished Good get suggested as expected, but because of the amount of semi finished goods that get produced we would expect a transfer order suggestion for getting the component to the semi-finished production location. This however does not happen. We do see a suggestion to purchase the component for a large qty at the items storage location. 

I do want to mention that we have not set any production capacities. So this would mean that anything we need gets there within the same day. The first goal with MPS was to be able to calculate how much we need. The second phase would be to know when. 

Any suggestions or extra information needed i will gladly provide. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Categories:
  • Verified answer
    Zafar LIT Profile Picture
    Zafar LIT 45 on at
    Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for the suggestions. @JunWang, regretfully the Customer I am helping is already setup like this and they feel that it is the best way for them to be setup. I am however, still patiently and respectfully pushing them to a more simplified stock location setup, where they use bins instead multiple locations. 

@BenBaxter
    I have found the culprit. The company is the wine and rum business, and they have an aging process. Now what they seem to have done is created a aged alcohol item as a production item and then they created separate items for 1y, 2y, 3y and so on that they have configured to be a "purchase item". So there the aged alcohol of 1 year and older is only used in their final products and there is no link between the o year old prod item and the of course the other aged alcohol products.

As a result, Navision cannot know how much is used because no BOM and Routings are available. I have already made suggestions to them to change the setup to allow linkage between the aged alcohol (1 year and older) to the prod item 0-year-old alcohol.  That is ultimately why I wasn't getting the suggestions all the way through. 

Hopefully the information provided above was helpful and will be helpful for anyone experiencing the same. When everything seems setup right do a audit on the complete chain from the top-level item all the to the highest low level code components and see if it all makes sense. 

Thanks again for the suggestions. 
  • Suggested answer
    Jun Wang Profile Picture
    Jun Wang 5,517 Super User on at
    your setup is sound overall but quite complex from the processes/description. apart from previous suggestions, my suggestion is to simply your MPS setup so the testing has less levers and easier to track. for example, excluding using forecast. and set up fewer locations. 
    For the suggested purchase order, you could use order tracking to find out why BC is doing so. Also check the transfer order related set up as well, such as transfer routes, warehouse employee etc. 

Jun Wang

• Suggested answer
    Ben Baxter Profile Picture
    Ben Baxter 4,221 Super User on at
    If I followed everything correctly, you have all your ducks in a row.  Even though you have Dynamic Low-Level Code: Yes, I would still suggest you run the Calc. Low Level Code function to ensure the levels are set properly across all Items, especially now that everything is built out.

Since everything is working except for the Transfer Order, I would go to the SKU for the component at the semi-finished production location.  I would revalidate (change, leave the field, then change it back) the replenishment system and reordering policy fields to ensure the system has the proper validated values.  If you continue to have issues, delete that SKU and run the Create Stockkeeping Unit function for that specific Location and reset your values.

This is clearly a data issue in the chain, so it is a matter of just double checking everything involved in the process.  The starting point is the break in the chain and ensuring that SKU has demand so that it can create the supply.  Also, make sure you aren't filtering on the Planning Worksheet Calc. Plan and accidentally excluding that Item or Location.

I would encourage you to reach out to your partner to get a second set of eyes on the data.  Hopefully being able to see the data can identify the issue quickly.

Best Regards,
    Ben Baxter
    Accent Software Inc

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,696 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,490 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans