Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Suggested answer

Apply to Oldest

Posted on by 10
Hi everyone,

We are new to business central, been using it for a few months now.  A key point in the various sets of books we manage is that our particular clients use Journal entries and NOT invoicing.  Each client is batched a monthly levy run and that is that.
All customers are set to Apply to Oldest, but this seems to be hit and miss.  If it misses it affects the aging and in turn any automated processes that sends out payment reminders etc.
The problem we are experiencing is the Balance Due issue when we try to grab the Aging via power automate.
In the example below, you will notice that Entry number 158112 has been applied, instead of the entry before it 157136.  This causes the Aging to show that a small amount is outstanding i.e 30days+.
Our payment terms have been set to calculate the Due date as CD (I believe that that would bake the due date the same as the posting date)

We also have an external automated bank reconciliation process that is centralized since we have 70 companies that work exactly the same. (The normal thinking of doing things in 1 company does not apply here, since they need to be replicated over many more companies)

I need to figure out how to fix the /Apply to/ so that it does not skip over older posting dates.  Or I need to find a way to grab the Balance at the end of each period (not Balance Due, since the Balance Due relies on the Open items to be applied correctly).  With each period I mean that I want to obtain and use the Running balance on the last day of each period (for 6 periods [months]) with an API or power automate to use externally on a regular basis.

Categories:
  • Casper Profile Picture
    Casper 10 on at
    Apply to Oldest
    Hi Jun, thank you for the response.  If you say cut of date field, do you mean due date?
    Due to the nature of our business, we only make journal entries, not invoicing (long story).  As such any credits must simply be applied to oldest.  Manual application is a slower process when it comes to our bank reconciliations (we have a custom-built recon process)

@Kaspars, I checked, On Hold is blank.

I think something worth mentioning is that often billing ahead, so on say 20 February 2024 we would make the charges with posting and due date 1 March 2024.  The statements are then sent to the clients, and they often make payment before 1 March 2024, see example below. (again here are payments made but the March items are not applied)

• Suggested answer
    Jun Wang Profile Picture
    Jun Wang 7,146 Super User 2024 Season 2 on at
    Apply to Oldest
    if you used apply to the oldest, you need to keep the cut off date field open so BC pulls in all due invoices. If you put in a cut off date, there will be older invoices prior to the cut off date ignored by BC. actually, I believe manually apply is a better option since user has more control on what to apply.

hope it helps.
    Jun Wang
  • KasparsSemjonovs Profile Picture
    KasparsSemjonovs 3,745 Super User 2024 Season 2 on at
    Apply to Oldest
    Check if the Column "On Hold" is empty for this entry 157136 (maybe someone accidentally added a symbol there, and if it is not empty, it is skipped in payments/applications.

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,524 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,493 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates