Skip to main content

Notifications

Microsoft Dynamics GP forum
Answered

End-of-life Announcement for Microsoft Dynamics GP

Posted on by Microsoft Employee
To Dynamics GP Community:

It is with mixed emotions that we announce the end-of-life for Microsoft Dynamics GP, a product that has been a cornerstone of our community for over 20 years. This decision was not made lightly, and we understand the impact it may have on you.

End of Life Timeline:
  • September 30, 2029: End of product enhancements, regulatory (tax) updates, service packs and technical support.
  • April 30, 2031: End of security updates.
As previously announced:
  • April 1, 2025: No new customers for GP perpetual licenses.
  • April 1, 2026: No new customers for GP subscription licenses.

Updated Lifecycle
Understand the Lifecycle Policies - Dynamics GP | Microsoft Learn

Why This Change?

Microsoft has made significant investments in Dynamics 365 Business Central and the ISV solutions ecosystem. This decision aims to encourage our on-premises customers to migrate to Dynamics 365 Business Central, which offers a better long-term solution with the benefits of cloud technology, including enhanced security and AI functionality.

What Does This Mean for You?

We understand that this transition may raise questions and concerns. Our team is committed to supporting you through this change. We encourage you to stay current on enhancements to benefit from available discounts when moving to Dynamics 365 Business Central.

We deeply appreciate your loyalty and trust in Microsoft Dynamics. Together, we can navigate this change and embrace the exciting opportunities that lie ahead.

Thank you for being a part of our journey.

Microsoft Announcement
For further detail review the FAQ.

Terry Heley
Microsoft

Related blog post: Discontinuing support for Microsoft Dynamics GP

Categories:
  • Lisa at AonC.com Profile Picture
    Lisa at AonC.com 3,000 on at
    @David 😁😁😁

Now do Small Business Financials/Manager.  (Extra credit for explaining the short-lived MS Profit product offering.)
  • David Musgrave MVP GPUG All Star Legend Moderator Profile Picture
    David Musgrave MVP ... 13,805 Moderator on at
    Hi guys

Project Green was a success.

It was a feasibility study to see if all the ERP solutions could be combined into a single product.

The project successfully came back with the answer No.

Dave Gaboury clarified this for me years ago.

David 
  • Joseph Markovich Profile Picture
    Joseph Markovich 3,840 on at
    Lisa, OMG I remember Project Green and that magical time!!!!!! Everything was going to be smiley faces and puppy dogs!

Honestly, I don't think that dream is dead from Microsoft. They have too many products they have to support instead of the majority of the competition that has just a single product and a single codebase.

I have a half-baked conspiracy theory about BC that I'll have to tell you on a Teams call while we both sip wine.

Joe
  • Suggested answer
    Lisa at AonC.com Profile Picture
    @Joseph - I agree.  I learned that lesson with Microsoft's pie-in-the-sky Project Green.  While we have joined with others to assist any interested/curious clients about BC, we are 100% committed to our GP customer base and continuing to support their GP/SQL/BI needs and assist with transitions if/when the time comes (even when that means moving to a non-Microsoft ERP).  😊
  • Joseph Markovich Profile Picture
    Joseph Markovich 3,840 on at
    Lisa, it's definitely not going to be a simple thing or pie in the sky that everything is just going to magically be in the cloud. 

The wording from Microsoft (not Terry) was complete detached marketing speak: "migrate to BC". It's not that simple -- you and I know that. Yet they still keep pounding that message because $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Don't forget the obvious reference to Copilot in there. Yawn.

Obviously, this day was coming, but I don't think the current brass at Microsoft really understands the GP customer base or the loyalty to something that has worked so well for organizations. That is just me speaking as a 20-year user and consultant with GP. I have a guess at how much revenue they are making per year on GP and their overhead has just gotten lower and lower.

I'm still going to support anyone that wants the assistance to get every penny out of their GP system and improve it with modern tools in Power Platform, but I'm not going anywhere near Business Central. It does not interest me at all. I either posted or commented about this on LinkedIn: SL is still out there and they are die-hard users. Microsoft's been trying to destroy that for YEARS.

So, this isn't going to be the slam dunk that Microsoft and the larger partners think it is going to be. And I think there is going to be outright defection from Microsoft to other ERPs. Just my opinion.

Joe

• Verified answer
    David Musgrave MVP GPUG All Star Legend Moderator Profile Picture
    David Musgrave MVP ... 13,805 Moderator on at

Please have a read of all the information and final thoughts on my blog on the topic:

#MSDynGP Microsoft Dynamics GP End of Life Officially Announced | Winthrop Development Consultants Blog (wordpress.com)

See you at San Antonio .... don't forget to come to my training: Dexterity in the week before Summit and GP Power Tools on Sunday before. Also presenting lots of sessions:

https://winthropdc.wordpress.com/2024/09/20/mysummitna-winthrop-development-consultants-at-community-summit-san-antonio-2024/

• Lisa at AonC.com Profile Picture
    Thank you, Terry, for your commitment to always keep the GP community in the loop on GP!  The vultures are already circling with misinformation, including Microsoft emailing customers about BC being "the cloud successor for Dynamics GP" without mentioning it is a new implementation with a limited migration path.

In a forum a few days ago, it was mentioned that the lack of qualified implementers will be one limitation on a move away from GP and the likelihood that the strong user, developer, and partner community will keep it a relevant product long past an end-of-life announcement.

I'm curious to read how others are responding to the announcement.  😊

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Dynamics 365 Community Update – Sep 16th

Welcome to the next edition of the Community Platform Update. This is a weekly…

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,435 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,317 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans