Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 general forum
Answered

How to create workflow that will update all associated records?

Posted on by 2,643

I have an Account and a Company entity.  I have a field on both entities called "ABC".

When I am on the Account record, I can only add existing Company records (can't add new which is what I wanted).

On the Company record, I have a field called, "Account"  (So that is all they tie together)

When the Account field gets filled in on the Company record, I need the value of ABC that is on the Account record to update the ABC on the Company record.  I then also need that if at any time the ABC field on the Account record gets updated that all associated Company records the ABC field gets updated with the new value from the Account record.

How can I do this via workflow?

• Verified answer
    Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at
    RE: How to create workflow that will update all associated records?

Hi USA80,

Based on your description, the Account(Parent) and the Company(Child) entity is 1:N relationship.

1."When the Account field gets filled in on the Company record, I need the value of ABC that is on the Account record to update the ABC on the Company record. "

Populate fields of child records with value from the parent record--create the workflow on child entity(Company).

pastedimage1635131166823v1.png

pastedimage1635131229505v2.png

2."I then also need that if at any time the ABC field on the Account record gets updated that all associated Company records the ABC field gets updated with the new value from the Account record."

Update fields of child records when fields of the parent record has changed--create the workflow on parent entity(Account).

But there is no OOB step for updating multiple child records from a parent record, you need download 'Dynamics-365-Workflow-Tools' solution, which includes one tool--Update Child Records:

Download solution:

GitHub - demianrasko/Dynamics-365-Workflow-Tools: Dynamics 365 Workflow Tools is a Community solution that expands Microsoft Dynamics 365 (CRM) Workflow features with lots of new posibilities. This helps you to build very advanced Codeless solutions in CRM.

Update Child Records tool:

Dynamics-365-Workflow-Tools/Update Child Records.md at master · demianrasko/Dynamics-365-Workflow-Tools · GitHub

pastedimage1635134065182v3.png

pastedimage1635134189560v4.png

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,584 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,864 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans