Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Answered

MICR on build 15.3

Posted on by 120

It looks like they added the MICR functionality in build 15.3  I reviewed the documentation below but it doesn’t give any information on how to use the fonts. Do I need to download the MICR font?
Is the check format still only available for modification in RDL format or can we use Word too?

If anyone can point me to some additional instructions for this it would be appreciated. Thanks!

---------------------------------------

MICR and check security fonts in Microsoft Dynamics Business Central are licensed in a font package from IDAutomation.com, Inc. These products may only be used as part of and in connection with Microsoft Dynamics Business Central.

In update 15.3 and newer, Magnetic Ink Character Recognition (MICR) fonts are installed and available to use. Both the E-13B and the CMC-7 standards are supported.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/business-central/finance-how-define-check-layouts

• julietconstant Profile Picture
    julietconstant 120 on at
    RE: MICR on build 15.3

Is there any documentation on how this works on v.16.0 BC online?

• Suggested answer
    keoma Profile Picture
    keoma 32,671 on at

tammy,

great answer, long expected explanations...

@juliet: IDAutomationCMC7 is a MICR font. goto https://www.idautomation.com/micr-fonts/cmc7/

a sample for a check with micr font (bottom line): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Check_with_MICR.jpg

julietconstant 120 on at

Hi Tammy,

I'm testing this in a v.16 sandbox. Is there any documentation on how this is supposed to work?

I printed the stub/check/stub and I can see they added this field at the top of the check but it's just showing the bank transit number and account number from the bank account: 

pastedimage1586277907135v2.png

I opened this check format RDL in report builder and it looks like these fields are assigned a font called IDAutomationCMC7

Not sure if this is how it's supposed to be or why it isn't displaying this in the MICR font. Can you confirm if you have the same results on your side?

Thanks!

julietconstant 120 on at

Thank you for the clarifications, Tammy. I will wait for v.16 - is that supposed to be released this month?

• Suggested answer
    keoma Profile Picture
    keoma 32,671 on at

please try again. seems, that the issue is resolved.

follow the comments from olister rumao:

community.dynamics.com/.../micr-font-on-check-report-in-d365-business-central

• Verified answer

Hi Juliet, 

I've been testing a bit and here are my findings. In update v15.3 and v15.4, the MICR (and some other) fonts are installed on the servers and available,  but  they are not used/included on any of the check reports which are currently shipped with Business Central. This means that in order to print MICR, you need to 1) purchase the fonts, 2) build a custom report (think new report ID in your extension), 3) add the fonts to the custom report, 4) deploy the extension with the custom report and print away.

If you can wait until v16.0, then we will have added MICR into a number of the check reports which are shipped with BC. You can print these stick reports without having to purchase the fonts. You can test this right now by spinning up a new v16.0 Sandbox. I did find that somehow we have the MICR fields at the top of the check form and not at the botttom, but that is an easy change with Report Builder. 

I hope that this information helps. 

julietconstant 120 on at

Thanks for the additional information. Can you confirm that the font needs to be purchased and downloaded to have MICR capability in BC online? I see the links to download the font ($159 for one user license) from the  IDAutomation Inc. website:

www.idautomation.com/.../

I also see this statement on this doc so I'm still a little confused on what the necessary steps are:

"The online version of Business Central contains pre-installed fonts on the servers that can be used when generating reports"

docs.microsoft.com/.../ui-fonts

• Suggested answer

Hello, 

Thank you for the questions about the new MICR capabilities in Business Central. 

Here is an additional link to documentation on this functionality: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365-release-plan/2019wave2/dynamics365-business-central/micr-fonts-business-central-online

There is a bit more spelled out here about which fonts to use and how to obtain them. 

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,459 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,783 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans