Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 general forum
Unanswered

OOB Product/Catalog Model for Specific Business Need

Posted on by
Hello!

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to use the OOB functionality of D365 Sales/CRM to model a client's business needs.

Technically, the primary product that the business sells is a seat in an event. Since the product catalog is primarily intended to sell physical products, there's not a direct relationship our team has been able to figure out. However, we do need to implement the process of Opportunities, Quotes, Orders, Price Lists, and Discount Lists, and the path of least resistance would be to model this in the Product Catalog, which is already hooked up to those entities.

Data Model: 
Event Parent
    This entity holds information about the type of event. Most events are recurring and would have the same information at this level for each recurrence. This entity contains reusable fields like the event description, amount of hours/days an event takes place, the minimum and maximum number of attendees, etc.

Event Instance
    This entity holds the information, including dates, of the individual event, based on the parent. Customers see this event on this date and can sign up for it. This is a specific instance of the Event Parent. This may also include more connections, such as a speaker or speakers for the event.

Event Registration
    This entity is the actual "seat" sold for the event. This has each individual person's access information for the event. This is also the intersection of the Event and the Contact and is its own entity due to the individual access info provided to the contact.

Event Dates
    This entity holds the individual dates for each event. The event does not need to be on sequential dates, so date information needs to be associated to the Event Instance and the Event Registration (for example, to track whether a Contact attended each day of the event or if they only attended some days.)

I haven't found any good examples of anything similar modeled in this catalog. Although I know that it is possible to do this via custom entities, I want to be sure I can't leverage the existing Product Catalog first with all of its benefits. From my understanding, building a custom entity for each of these and hooking them up to the above tables would still require a lot of recreating the wheel for Price Lists, Opportunity Products, etc. I'm open to any suggestions, including data model revision. Please let me know if you have any ideas. 

Thank you!

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,665 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,971 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,150

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans