Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Suggested answer

integration with ms sql server

Posted on by 2

Hello experts,

I'm facing a challenge with integration at the moment. My goal is to transfer data from Dynamics 365 Business Central (cloud base) to my local MS SQL Database server. I'm looking to create a link server without relying on third-party tools. Does anyone have any insights or suggestions on how I can achieve this? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• CU08071133-0 Profile Picture
    CU08071133-0 12 on at
    I understand that you are considering creating a link sever with no 3rd parties and the right link to follow is the next one - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/data-explorer/linked-server
    However, if you would reconsider your approach you can also take a look at Skyvia as an alternative option to replicate data from Dynamics Business Central to SQL Server with no coding - https://skyvia.com/data-integration/replicate-business-central-to-sql-server
  • Community member Profile Picture
    Community member 22 on at

Certainly! Integrating data between Dynamics 365 Business Central (cloud-based) and your local MS SQL Database server can be achieved using various methods. One approach is to set up a Linked Server in SQL Server to establish a connection between the two databases. Here's a high-level overview of the steps involved:

Configure Linked Server: In your SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), you can create a Linked Server by specifying the details of your Dynamics 365 Business Central instance. This involves providing the server name, login credentials, and other necessary connection information.

Define Queries: Once the Linked Server is established, you can write SQL queries to retrieve data from Dynamics 365 Business Central tables and insert/update it into your local MS SQL Database tables. These queries can be scheduled as SQL Server Agent jobs to automate the data transfer process at specified intervals.

Data Transformation: Depending on the structure and format of the data in Dynamics 365 Business Central and your local database, you may need to perform data transformation tasks to ensure compatibility and consistency.

Error Handling and Monitoring: Implement error handling mechanisms to capture and handle any data transfer errors effectively. Additionally, set up monitoring and logging to track the status and performance of the integration process.

While setting up this integration can be complex and requires technical expertise, our team at Cloudify specializes in cloud-based solutions and integrations. We can assist you in implementing this Microsoft Dynamics  Business Central integration seamlessly, ensuring efficient data transfer between Microsft Dynamics  Business Central and your local MS SQL Database server. Our experts can guide you through the setup process, address any challenges you encounter, and optimize the integration for your specific requirements. Don't hesitate to reach out to us for personalized assistance and support in achieving your integration goals.

https://www.cloudify.biz/marketplace/products/microsoftBC-integrations

• Suggested answer
    DAnny3211 Profile Picture
    DAnny3211 9,217 Moderator on at
    hi

in my opinion you should export a saas backup from the admin centre 
    as a .bcpac 
    https://danieleincalza.blogspot.com/2022/11/business-central-export-database-saas.html
    and then restore it to an azure sql, which could be a bit tricky.

DAniele
  • Suggested answer
    Judy Profile Picture
    Judy Microsoft Employee on at
    SQL Server allows you to create linked servers to connect to other data sources. Please follow the article shows how to create a linked server from SQL Server to Azure Data Explorer.
  • Suggested answer
    YUN ZHU Profile Picture
    YUN ZHU 69,639 Super User 2024 Season 2 on at
    As far as I know, the standard cannot do this. If your local program is the BC On-Pre version, it can be synchronized from On-Pre to Cloud, but not vice versa.
    More details: How to migrate On-Premises Data to Cloud (SaaS)

And without connectors or APIs, you cannot access the local database from cloud.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks.
    ZHU
  • gdrenteria Profile Picture
    gdrenteria 9,472 Most Valuable Professional on at
    Hi
    I would think that it is not possible because to make some connections we would require dotnet objects. Here are some examples of onprem.
    Best regards
    Gerardo

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,532 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,501 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates