Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics AX forum
Suggested answer

upgrade code from ax2012 to d365fo

Posted on by 195

hi,

i need a suggestion with you guys, I've a client which is currently using ax2012 , now he wants to move his customization and reports work to d365fo. Inshort he wants to upgrade his environment. Is there anyone who has done this task before ? If yes , then do suggest some specific steps, from where should i start from. what precautions & steps should i follow, rather than implementing customization on d365fo by writing a code.

Any suggestion would be helpful for me. 

Regards,

Zohan

• Hein Marx Profile Picture
    Hein Marx 20 on at
    RE: upgrade code from ax2012 to d365fo

Hi Nikolaos,

After removing custom code from AX2012 SalesTable for example, to a new ExtensionOf class in D365, what's the solution for removing the custom code from the standard code as these can't be modified?

• Zohan_93 Profile Picture
    Zohan_93 195 on at

Dear Nikolaos,

Thanks for your suggestion i'll get back to you once i'll read the documentation.  

• Suggested answer
    nmaenpaa Profile Picture
    nmaenpaa 101,148 on at

In some cases it might mean that. Often it's about moving your code to different place.

For example if you have added your own method in SalesTable table in AX2012, you need to move it in a separate extension class in D365.

Or, if you have customized a method in SalesTable, you need to move it to separate extension class and use Chain of Command to run your code before/after the standard code. If your customization was in the middle of a standard method you need to redesign your solution since you can't anymore have your code executed in the middle of standard methods - only before and after them.

• Zohan_93 Profile Picture
    Zohan_93 195 on at

Dear Nikolaos,

It means apart from customization i've to rewrite the code for d365fo ?

• Suggested answer
    nmaenpaa Profile Picture
    nmaenpaa 101,148 on at

Sure, a lot of people have done it before. As suggested by others, please start by reading the documentation. In code upgrade, a big effort is to reimplement your overlayering customizations as extensions. Basically and standard Microsoft object that you have customized in AX2012 requires manual work when you upgrade to D365.

In addition to that, integrations are a big focus area. AIF is deprecated so your AIF integrations need to be reimplemented using different technology.

• WillWU Profile Picture
    WillWU 22,344 on at

Hi Zohan93,

You could use LCS to upgrade your code:

community.dynamics.com/.../ax7-isv-solution-minor-code-upgrade

• Suggested answer
    Martin Dráb Profile Picture
    Martin Dráb 225,549 Super User on at

A logical starting point is the official documentation from Microsoft: Upgrade from AX 2012 to Finance and Operations.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,914 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,549 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans