Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Suggested answer

Overhead Rate in Item Card

Posted on by 15,419

Hi

What is the use of Overhead Rate in Item Card (It is not available by default and I just added there)? Does this has any functions? 

I think if I put any number there it will post in G/L if we buy this item. But how about MFG product? Does this cost add to item when we close production order?

Thanks 

pastedimage1622643896773v1.png

• Suggested answer
    Jun Wang Profile Picture
    Jun Wang 7,154 Super User 2024 Season 2 on at
    this field is not visible out of box, so it must be exposed by a dev. also this is an optional field, putting number to this field will increase indirect costs to the production of the item. 
    unless you know how it flows into costing, I won't suggest not to use it.

this is the simple answer, you need to test to find out how it affect costing and decide to use it or not.

hope it helps

follow me on linkedin for more sharing
    Jun Wang
  • Suggested answer
    Azqar Profile Picture
    Azqar 50 on at
    here is a bit of explaination 
  • kennykewl Profile Picture
    kennykewl 5 on at
    RE: Overhead Rate in Item Card

Steven,

Assuming standard cost = 0, Overhead Rate (on item card) = 100, after finishing production order of 1 pc. Inventory is increased by 1pc, unit cost = 0 (as per standard cost)  However, the Journal Entry is

Dr Variance-Mfg. OH   100

Cr FG                           (100)

Inventory Value is not aligned with General Ledger.

Is there a way to fix this issue?

Thanks

Ken,

• Suggested answer
    Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

MahGah,

Adding to Josh's reply... Overhead Rate, on the Item Card, is a field where companies who want to apply an overhead to the Item would add a value (i.e. $2.00). This is a flat amount to be added to the Direct Cost of the Item. For example: You purchase Raw Material at $1.00 each. You set an Overhead Rate of .50. When you Post Invoice, the Unit Cost for the Item is $1.00 + .50, per UOM (Each). You will see this on the Value Entries. This field is in addition to the Indirect Cost %, where you can apply an Indirect Cost Percentage to the Item.

Now, this field is NOT that same, per say, as the field on the Work Center Card. The field is the same and works the same, except that the amount will only apply to the entries related to Output Routings effecting the Work Center. When you post an Output or Production Journal the additional Overhead Rate will be added and applied Direct Cost.

Now if I was Manufacturing an Item, I normally, per best practice, place an Overhead or Indirect Cost % against the Work Center. If I was apply the Landed Cost against a purchased raw material, I would utilize Charge(Item) to capture the additional costs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Steve

• Suggested answer
    Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

MahGah,

Adding to Josh's reply... Overhead Rate, on the Item Card, is a field where companies who want to apply an overhead to the Item would add a value (i.e. $2.00). This is a flat amount to be added to the Direct Cost of the Item. For example: You purchase Raw Material at $1.00 each. You set an Overhead Rate of .50. When you Post Invoice, the Unit Cost for the Item is $1.00 + .50, per UOM (Each). You will see this on the Value Entries. This field is in addition to the Indirect Cost %, where you can apply an Indirect Cost Percentage to the Item.

Now, this field is NOT that same, per say, as the field on the Work Center Card. The field is the same and works the same, except that the amount will only apply to the entries related to Output Routings effecting the Work Center. When you post an Output or Production Journal the additional Overhead Rate will be added and applied Direct Cost.

Now if I was Manufacturing an Item, I normally, per best practice, place an Overhead or Indirect Cost % against the Work Center. If I was apply the Landed Cost against a purchased raw material, I would utilize Charge(Item) to capture the additional costs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Steve

• MahGah Profile Picture
    MahGah 15,419 on at

Hi Josh

Thank you. That overhead rate is in work center (unless I am missing something). Do you know what is the use of overhead rate in item card? And if  overhead rate in item card has any impact on production?

Thanks

• Suggested answer
    JAngle Profile Picture
    JAngle 33,155 on at

This blog gives a good overview: www.archerpoint.com/.../using-standard-costs-dynamics-nav

It mentions NAV but the functionality has not changed since then.

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,570 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,683 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates