Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

Microsoft Dynamics CRM forum
Suggested answer

CRM 365 What is the easiest way to merger all the Solutions as one solution and remove all the other.

editSubscribe (0) ShareShare
ReportReport
Posted on by

Hello All Experts,

I need to know how can i merge all the solutions which are there in the CRM  to a single solutions.

is it possible to do that.

• gdas Profile Picture
    gdas 50,083 on at
    RE: CRM 365 What is the easiest way to merger all the Solutions as one solution and remove all the other.

I have updated my earlier comment please follow the step.

• Suggested answer
    gdas Profile Picture
    gdas 50,083 on at
    RE: CRM 365 What is the easiest way to merger all the Solutions as one solution and remove all the other.

Uff , I thought you have unmanaged solution in production  ,deleting managed solution your data will be deleted. let me  update my comment earlier .

• EmployeeOcta Profile Picture
    EmployeeOcta on at

I am having 13 managed solutions in production.

And 13 unmanaged solutions in dev instance.

Do I need to delete all managed solutions from prod instance.

• Suggested answer
    gdas Profile Picture
    gdas 50,083 on at

If you delete managed solution you lost your data  , so before delete managed solution try to follow below step. 

For Development

- You can add all component from another unnmanaged solution  to your main unmamaged solution to create single solution.

- Remove (Don't delete) one by one all unmanaged solution component from each unmanaged solution and then delete all unmnaged solution except main solution. Do this  step later after import in production.

- So now you have single solution.

For Production -

-  Try to import the exported main managed solution to your production.

By doing above you will get one solution in your development and in future you will only add component in your main solution of development environment  and this solution can be move or overwrite to your production environment.

Hope this helps.

EmployeeOcta on at

What I understand from above discussions that I need to create  an unmanaged solution and add all the components from each and individual solutions which I have deployed as managed on the production.

If I do this what's probablity that the previous data will not get lost?

• Suggested answer
    gdas Profile Picture
    gdas 50,083 on at

Hi ,

Ideally solution merge we are doing to avoid maintaining multiple solutions. Now as mentioned by David earlier that there may be many scenario.

1. Merge Managed and Unmanaged Solutions.

This scenario comes when you are working on some third party solution or working on top of any existing  managed solution. In this scenario I would recommend instead of merging two solution create separate unmanaged solution and include managed solution component there. So always avoid merging concept in this scenario. As per my personal experience I found lot of issue changing on top of managed solution. Here some of them .

- You can not removed managed solution component anymore.

- You can not remove any option set value , attributes ,

- Changing form design and many more.

- Unnecessary component force to keep in the solution.

-  Latest version upgrade of managed solution is very difficult.

So I would recommend do not removed any compon

2. Merge Managed Solutions.

Its difficult but  you can refer below-

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg309329.aspx

3. Merge Unmanaged Solutions.

Whenever you are working on any unmanaged solution its basically changing on default solution . So in that case your sitemap and client extension are common so you can easily merge unmanaged solution component into another unmanaged solution , there may be publisher name can be  different for the two or more solution component but you can use same publisher name as well. 

3.Merging Unmanaged solution using OOB Solution patching [ Must use solution patching]

For Agile methodology when you want to move your solution very frequently . Use solution patching  to create patch for your each delivery . Now when you want to plan your latest version of the solution, you usually want to rollup all of the patches that were released for the base solution into the new solution, before you can add new changes in there. This can be done using the “Clone Solution” button. Clone solution means merged all other patches in single solutions.

https://www.inogic.com/blog/2016/01/solution-patching-in-microsoft-dynamics-crm-2016/

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-in/library/mt593040.aspx

Hope this helps.

EmployeeOcta on at

Hello David,

It's Managed solution those were deployed on the production system.

but i am bit confused how the data will get lost if i make a single unmanaged solution from source and deploy on prod instance as managed solution.

• David Jennaway Profile Picture
    David Jennaway 14,061 on at

It depends how you are using solutions. If you're using Managed Solutions, then there's no simple way to merge these, as each component in the managed solution is associated with the solutionid of the original solution. The only way that you could end up merging the components is to uninstall all the managed solutions from the destination, combine the components in the unmanaged source into one managed solution, then reimport the new combined managed solution. The problem is, if the solution components include custom entities or custom attributes, then the data in them will be lost

In an unmanaged environment, unmanaged components can be associated with multiple solutions, so you can just add components from one solution into another solution to merge them

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Take the Community feedback survey!

Answer this brief 15-question survey about your Community experience…

Demystifying Copilot with Sundar Raghavan

Sundar explains how Copilot for Service is meant to function separately...

Business Process Guidance Badges and New…

The Microsoft Success by Design is the framework for implementing Dynamics 365…

Leaderboard

Andre Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

Andre Arnaud de Cal... 283,298 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 223,025 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,140

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans