Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Business Central forum
Suggested answer

Importing a CSV Journal Entries file from another software

Posted on by 8
Hello, 

I am trying to set up a configuration table to import a CSV file of General Journal Entries from a different software. 
It actually contains multiple entries but has extra columns and rows that are not needed. See the attachment.

I would want the Date, GL Accounts, amounts and to parse the account number from it being included with the name and hit the customer card, 
Loan tables have not yet been created for each customer, but I am just testing things in the Sandbox environment.

I started configuring one like this:

With these fields:

I think I read that I can map columns in that one to what it should in BC, but is that correct?
Will it ignore the added TRANS rows and how would I get it to automatically parse the account number from the account number / name?

Some days there will be 5 entries. Some days there can be 50.

Any tips, help, recommendations, omissions or things I need to take out would be greatly appreciated.

By the way the  Chart of Accounts is created using the same GL names.

Thanks, 
Cedric
  • Suggested answer
    Valentin Castravet Profile Picture
    Valentin Castravet 22,226 Super User 2024 Season 2 on at
    Importing a CSV Journal Entries file from another software
    Configuration packages allow for basic column mapping, where one value is mapped to another. However, in your case, this means it likely won't be able to parse both the account number and name.

Instead, if you were using data exchange definitions you can use transformation rules for parsing and that should work. The problem is that out of the box, data exchange definition can only be used to import into the general journal (this blog post explains how to set it up) and bank statements. 

Additionally, it’s typically not possible to ignore the TRANS rows. For these kinds of requirements, it’s best to have a developer create a custom import for you (for example, an xmlport), which is usually a straightforward task that shouldn't take more than a few hours.

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Dynamics 365 Community Newsletter - September 2024

Check out the latest community news

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,554 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,588 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates