Skip to main content

Notifications

Microsoft Dynamics CRM forum
Answered

Closing multiple Opportunities at once

Posted on by 12,159

So if I select a bunch of 'Open' opportunities I notice that the 'Close as won' or 'Close as Lost' option disappears from the top ribbon. Not only this, but an option to 'Reopen Opportunity' appears which makes absolutely no sense seeing as they are Open. Not so much an issue, rather than an observation.

Categories:
  • Joe Woltering Profile Picture
    Joe Woltering 12,159 on at
    RE: Closing multiple Opportunities at once

Hey Adam,

Thanks for your reply. Well that's just the thing, the buttons do seem to 'appear and disappear' when you select one Opportunity record or multiple i.e. the 'Close as...' goes away and the 'Reopen...' button moves up the list. I realize this action is based on a selection and it is not actually looking 'inside' a record to determine it's Status, which would be required to 'hide' the 'Reopen...' button. This would certainly adversely affect performance, as you said.

There just seems to be an inconsistency in this user experience, was my point. The system won't let me do what I want to do i.e. Close multiple opportunities at once-- which I understand the reasoning behind this and it's probably a good thing-- even though you can do this for Leads. Yet, it would seem to allow me to do what is technically impossible i.e. Reopen 'Open' Opportunities.

Again, I'm not going to lose sleep over this, just pointing out an inconsistent user experience.

• Verified answer
    Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

The model seems to make sense if you break it down, and bear in mind the practicalities of a web app rather than installed client-server software.

Buttons such as Delete, Reactivate or Reopen are not checked against the selections you make. To do so would be a poor user experience - not only would performance be bad, but as you select one or another or several records, these buttons would appear and disappear from the top bar depending on user permissions to each of the selected records.

On the other hand, buttons such as Close as Won / Lost are simply hidden if you select more than one record. There are no security or permission checks to make, and the buttons are hidden when you select the second record and only revealed again if you change the selection to only one again. They do not flash on and off as they would if they were permission-related.

• Joe Woltering Profile Picture
    Joe Woltering 12,159 on at

Thank you both. Yes, I certainly understand the logic behind it, and yes I could easily create a workaround. I just wanted to point out the illogicality of being able to 'Reopen' Open Opportunities. Just doesn't make sense.

• Verified answer
    Hosk Profile Picture
    Hosk on at

The reason is when you win or close an opportunity you usually have to make a choice of a dropdown or comment (I think)

This is so you can capture more details e.g. if you kept losing opportunities because of cost or one competitor.

• Verified answer
    Royal King Profile Picture
    Royal King 27,686 on at

create a ondemand workflow to close the Opportunity and run the workflow on multiple Opportunity. Workflow will take care closing the opportunity.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Mohamed Amine Mahmoudi!

Blog subscriptions now enabled!

Follow your favorite blogs

TechTalk: How Dataverse and Microsoft Fabric powers ...

Explore the latest advancements in data export and integration within ...

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 284,860 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,398 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,146

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans