Skip to main content
Microsoft Dynamics NAV forum
Answered

Cannot login through NAV 2017 Windows local client

editSubscribe (0) ShareShare
ReportReport
Posted on by User Group Leader

My hosting company needed to setup a new instance of NAV 2017 and I cannot log in through the Windows local client ever since. After the installation of the Windows client on my Windows 10 PC, I get the following error message: "Your user name user@domain.com or password is incorrect or you do not have a valid account Microsoft Dynamics NAV." Immediately after the installation, the client starts up and does not give me the option to key in my user/password - it seems to remember my login; although I have cleared my PC's cache, deleted all references to NAV in the Windows registry, logged out of all Office 365 apps (Outlook, OneNote etc) and manually deleted folders that NAV creates in C:\users..

I have no problems to login through the web client so the password is correct and the account is valid. I did an installation on another PC and it works perfectly well there so it seems to be a problem with my PC.  

Any ideas how I can reset/delete the login information and reset the client would be of great help!

• Suggested answer
    Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member User Group Leader on at
    RE: Cannot login through NAV 2017 Windows local client

Thank you Mohana, that solved the riddle! I did something wrong the first time I tried to overwrite the login authentication with "NavUserPassword" in the "ClientServicesCredentialType" field in the clientusersettings.config file. It worked like a charm on my second attempt!

Thanks so much for your time and efforts!

• Community Member Profile Picture

There is unfortunately no icon to click on. I go the download site of my NAV hosting provider and click on "online installation". It doesn't give me the option to save the downloaded file, I can only install it straight away (I tried in Chrome to download the installer file first and then start it from the harddisk, but it doesn't give me any option either nor does it make a difference). I can the only chose whether to include the "reporting" and "system update" before installation and whether to "install" or "don't install". Once it has installed, it fires up straight away, without any input from me.

• Mohana Yadav Profile Picture
    Mohana Yadav 45,251 Super User on at

can you try by right clicking on NAV icon and select "run as different user"?

• Community Member Profile Picture

Thanks! I did check, even copied the clientusersettings.config files from the PC where the login works to my PC - didn't solve the problem. I deleted the config files on my PC before I reinstalled the NAV client but it still "remembers" my login so apparently the login isn't stored in the clientusersettings.config file?

• Verified answer
    Mohana Yadav Profile Picture
    Mohana Yadav 45,251 Super User on at

you need to check clientusersettings file and login authentication in it.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

New Blog Features Released!

Check out the new community blog features for viewers and authors…

Demystifying Copilot with Sundar Raghavan

Sundar explains how Copilot for Service is meant to function separately...

Is Copilot Supported In My Region?

Find out if Dynamics 365 and Copilot are supported in your region…

Leaderboard

Andre Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

Andre Arnaud de Cal... 283,189 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 222,776 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,140

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans