Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics SL forum
Answered

Does anyone know if SL 2011 works faster on a 64 bit server compared to a 32 bit server?

Posted on by Microsoft Employee

Does anyone know if SL 2011 works faster on a 64 bit server compared to a 32 bit server?

• Suggested answer
    Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at
    Re: Does anyone know if SL 2011 works faster on a 64 bit server compared to a 32 bit server?

In the past we had to install the SL Server Application on the Termial Services Server in order to maintain the performance for the clients (via RemoteApp). Perhaps try that. I would mean that both the SL Application Server and the Termial Services Server would have to be updated with any SL custom report, hotfixes, etc.

• Luis Brenes Profile Picture
    Luis Brenes 475 on at
    Re: Does anyone know if SL 2011 works faster on a 64 bit server compared to a 32 bit server?

My pleasure Chuck, glad to be of help!  :-D

-Luis

• Community Member Profile Picture

Luis

Thanks a lot for the 2 above posts.  Great info!

Chuck

Luis Brenes 475 on at

Hi Chuck and Everyone Again,

Try this Hotfix which I applied internally for us "HSL2011_2385ALL.ZIP" contained in downloaded file "438369_intl_i386_zip.exe".  It contains the HF Chuck mentioned plus several others that include Crystal, ROI, and SQL.  (The title is "Message 10232 - Assertion Failure When You Try to Print or Preview a Report in Dynamics SL 2011.")

Hope it helps,
    -Luis 

Overview

HF 23835ALL:  This hot fix will allow a previewed report to be reviewed on the page size and orientation set in the Printer options Screen. SL was using the page size specified in the Crystal Report as opposed to the page size specified in the SL Printer Options screen when printing/print-previewing a report in SL 2011.

This hotfix includes these hotfixes as well:

HF 23832SY: This hotfix corrects adding SQL logins for Dynamics SL users when creating additional application databases using Database Maintenance (98.290.00).

HF 23736SY: This hotfix improves the performance of screen load times for ROI and ROISRS (Report screens).

HF 23728WO: This hotfix corrects an issue when the Shop Packet-Traveler report is printed from the Work Order Entry screen using the Quick Print Traveler button. The report can either print all Released Work Orders or none at all. This Hotfix corrects both situations

HF 23680SY: This hotfix corrects desktop shortcuts being created for screens (such as GL Journal Transaction screen).

HF 23686SY: This hotfix corrects string truncations for partial record joins that result in System Message 71. This issue fixes failures in IR Calculate Replenishment (note that hotfix 22030IR requires this fix).

HF 23677SY: This hotfix corrects the translation of NULL MS SQL dates to zero (1-1-1900). This was producing -1 date values with outer join scenarios.

HF 23638WO:  This hotfix corrects an issue when user defined selection criteria is used in the 21.650 report. The report uses the 2165010 application as a Report Pre-Process. The pre-process uses the user defined selection criteria to enhance the report performance. In this case the criteria was in a form Crystal reports understands, but SQL did NOT. This correction gives the pre-process the criteria in both forms. It is the responsibility of the pre-process to use the correct form for the current scenario.

The criteria in a form SQL understands is placed in a RPTEXTRA record who’s ID is the same are the current running reports RI_ID value. The Parameters field of the record will start with the characters RI_WHERE: followed by the actual data.

HF 23637OM:  This hotfix corrects an issue when user defined selection criteria is used in the 40.680 (Invoice) report. The report uses the 4060000 application as Report Pre-Process ( as do many other reports ). The pre-process uses the user defined selection criteria to enhance the report performance. In this case criteria used was in a form Crystal reports understands, but SQL does NOT. This correction gives the pre-process the criteria in both forms. It is the responsibility of the pre-process to use the correct form for the current scenario.

The criteria in a form SQL understands is placed in a RPTEXTRA record who’s ID is the same are the current running reports RI_ID value. The Parameters field of the record will start with the characters RI_WHERE: followed by the actual data.

HF 23621SY: This hotfix corrects the behavior where ”System Message 8058: Invalid Currency ID using TI into the Payment Application screen even when the Currency ID is valid” was displaying when using currency IDs with a length of 4 characters.

HF 23616SY: This hotfix supports Unicode characters in a non-Unicode SQL environment by setting the AutoTranslate=no in SOLOMON.INI (turns off MS SQL’s Native Client auto translation).

HF 23598SY: This hotfix corrects the error message “10232 - assertion failure” in an SL 2011 when setting the AppCompanyLogin=0 in SOLOMON.INI.

HF 23553SY: This hotfix corrects the error message “Degree of derived table does not match column list” in an SL 2011 SDK application that does an sqlfetch4() and an supdate4() within a transaction.

HF 23545SY: When Print to File is used to print a report and the file type is set to Excel 97-2003*, the resulting file is not in Excel format. This hot fix is a correction to HF 23525 that in SL 2011, when using a preprocess to update RptRuntime to force a report to export to file the report is not exported

HF 23536SY: This hotfix corrects the blank values returned using SQLFetch1 when looping beyond 25 rows of data.

HF 23525SY: In SL 2011, when using a preprocess to update RptRuntime to force a report to export to file the report is not exported.

HF 23524SY: This hotfix corrects the 10232 - assertion failure - jStmt < MAXODBCSTATEMENTHANDLES error that may occur when a Dynamics SL Application inserts several records (more than 120) into a table that includes an identity column.

HF 23482SY: This hotfix corrects these issues:

1.   System Message 8152 – “String or binary data would be truncated." when the Microsoft Dynamics SL User ID contains 11 or more characters and this user closes the AP module within GL Closing

2.   Programming Bulletproof Error 10238 running AP payment selection.

3.   System Message 8153 - Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation in AR Integrity check

4.   SQL Server Message 8153 - Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation in account summary inquiry

HF 23450SY: This hotfix corrects a runtime error that occurs when using a date format other than mm/dd/yyyy in ROI select criteria (System Message 7011 - A month number must be between 1 and 12).

HF 23445SY: This hotfix corrects displaying the Company name on the title of customized applications (or localized applications).

HF 23341SY: This hotfix corrects a runtime error that occurs when using StartAppAndAutomate() Object Model method in Microsoft Dynamics SL 2011 SDK developed programs.

HF 23371SY: This hotfix corrects the Attempted to read or write protected memory error in Database Maintenance when regional settings are set to something other than English – US.

HF 23309SY: This hotfix corrects the localization of Quick Query.

HF 23280SY: This hotfix corrects the runtime error that QQVIEW00.exe has stopped working when attempting to lunch the A/R Transactions Quick Query

Changed Files                                      Date                             File Version

SWIMAPI.DLL                                       10/06/11                        8.0.21006.00

SOLOMON.KERNEL.DLL                       10/06/11                               8.0.21006.00

Microsoft.dynamics.SL.Reporting.dll      10/06/11                               8.0.21006.00

ROI.exe                                                10/06/11                               8.0.21006.00

ROISRS.exe                                          10/06/11                        8.0.21006.00

QQVIE00.exe                                        10/06/11                        8.0.21006.00

9829000.exe                                          10/06/11                               8.0.21006.00

lli.dll                                                     10/06/11                               8.0.21006.00

SAFMenuStrip.dll                                  10/06/11                               8.0.21006.00

SOLDB.dll                                            10/06/11                        8.0.21006.00

Toolbarenu.dll                                       10/06/11                               NA

1265010.exe                                          10/06/11                        8.0.21006.00

4060000.exe                                          10/06/11                        8.0.21006.00

This bug correction is a single file in a ZIP format containing correction(s) for the Microsoft Dynamics® SL release 2011 applications.

Luis Brenes 475 on at

Hello Chuck and Everyone,

I'm in a bit of crunch to check Hotfixes right now but when I first installed SL 2011 back in May internally, I ran into several ROI and Preview issues.

I created an incident and the Microsoft Tech had me add both of their related executables as exceptions to DEP (Date Execution Prevention) on the SL Server:   ROI.exe and CRW32.EXE

Once added, along with the Hotfixes, the issues were resolved.  Give it a shot and I will check on versions I have added for Hotfixes.

Regards,

-Luis

1) Is anyone experiencing slowness with opening report screens?

2) Has anyone installed the Hotfix version 8.0.21006.00-HF 23736SY?  This hotfix is supposed to improve the performance of screen load times for ROI and ROISRS (Report screens).

We installed it in 2 environments and it did not resolve the issue.

3) Is anyone on SP1?  We upgraded to SP1 and it didn’t seem to make a difference with the report screen delay either.

I appreciate any answers to the above 3 questions.

Thanks,

Chuck

Luis Brenes 475 on at

Samantha,

One more thing on my reply above.  Service Packs and some hotfixes must be installed on both clients and servers but the Microsoft documentation has not been clear.  They have acknowledged this as much to me on incidents opened.  As a precaution, I install them on both.

Regards,
    -Luis

Luis Brenes 475 on at

Hello Samantha,

Our current setup is as follows:

·         Both Servers Below – Hyper-V VMs

o    SL File Server – Win2008 R2 Enterprise x64 SP 1 / 3.12 GB RAM Dynamic

o    SQL Server – Win2008 Enterprise x64 SP 2 / 16.0 GB RAM Dynamic / SQL Server 2008 Standard x64 SP 2 – Build 10.0.4064.0

Other factors to consider:

·         Hotfixes installed (there are a total of 15 that I frequently install)

·         Service Packs installed (SP 1 just came out for SL 2011 on 11/11/11 – results to be determined)

·         Other applications or interfaces installed (on either SL or SQL side) that could compete for resources

·         If using Citrix , performance typically decreases (sometimes by a lot):

o    typically you only install the client on the Citrix box

o    performing the full install instead sometimes helps boost performance

o    comparing non-Citrix box to Citrix box performance can give hints if that is the bottleneck

·         Monitoring network statistics on the servers or on SQL Server (performance monitor)

o    may reveal if there are times when performance is markedly slower than at other times

o    would likely need assistance from your system engineers if available

·         SQL tune ups and/or best practices

o    MSDN from Microsoft

o    Other Great Resources Found So Far:

§  http://www.sqlservercentral.com/

§  http://blog.sqlauthority.com/

§  Personal Favorite à  http://www.brentozar.com/

·         one of their articles mentions tempDB as possible performance problem
    http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2011/10/how-tell-if-tempdb-performance-problem/

I hope this helps and/or let me know if you would like me to assist/consult with you.

-Luis

• Samantha Shelley Profile Picture
    Samantha Shelley 335 on at

Luis,

What is the setup of your servers, how much RAM and such. We are experiencing extremely slow speeds and have the APP and DB on two separate servers, both new, Win2008R2 64-bit server and SQL Server 2008 SP2. Sounds like a very similar set up that we have but I am not having any luck speeding things up. I just added more bandwidth to our site, and we have about 25 up and 20 down now, but still the speed is slow. We have a hosted setup so that's why I thought it may be bandwidth (servers are not onsight). Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Samantha

Price

Thanks for the feedback.  

SL would be on the SQL server.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,835 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,526 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans