Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM forum
Answered

How to create data type owner field

Posted on by Microsoft Employee

Hi,

I am trying to create the same field as ownerID, the data type being owner where you can select user or team. I cant do it when selecting the datatype when creating a new field.

How do i do it?

thanks

sachin 

• Verified answer
    Shahbaaz Ansari Profile Picture
    Shahbaaz Ansari 6,203 on at
    RE: How to create data type owner field

Hi Sachin,

Also you can create a custom entity,with the fields like "case","owner","Assigned to", "Assigned Date" and on the Assign of the record you can call plugin which will insert a record in that.

I have done such type of auditing by creating custom entity.

Thanks,

Shahbaaz

• Michel van den Brink Profile Picture
    Michel van den Brink 4,697 on at

Hey Sachin,

If you're looking for a timeline/audit trail of when your Case got assigned to who and by whom, then I suggest you use the Audit system included in Dynamics 365.

It'll keep track of when fields on your Case change, including when the Owner changes, who the old Owner was, who the new Owner is and who changed it.

References:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/customer-engagement/admin/audit-data-user-activity

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/customer-engagement/developer/audit-entity-data-changes 

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

Hi Michel,

Thanks, I will investigate further queues, but I think I am going with creating fields with user or team. I want to date stamp the time the end user has assigned the case to someone else. for audit purposes that the case was worked out  correctly.

Sachin

• Suggested answer

Hi Sachin,

As per my understanding when ever a lead is Assign to other User you want to maintain the lead Owner which gets changed when Lead is assign to other User.

In this case you can have a field "Assign to"  and " New Owner"  Field.

Step 1) Hide the original Owner Field.

Step 2) Create a workflow which will trigger on create of record and update the New Owner Value with the Owner value

Step 3) Create another workflow which will trigger on Assign,

now when any lead L1 is assigned to User from User A to User B, you can update "New Owner" field to User A and "Assigned To" to B and Owner will be changed to User B.

In above you need to check condition if "New Owner" contain data then don't update "New Onwer" field

Now if User B assign Lead L1 to User C in this case, it will "Owner" will be changed to User C,  which will be hidden field, "New Owner" will be changed not be change and will remain as User A as we have check condition not to update if value exist and "Assigned To" will be  User C.

Please let me know if i am not clear to you.

If you find it helpful, Please mark as Verified.

best Regards,

Shahbaaz

• Suggested answer
    Michel van den Brink Profile Picture

Hey Sachin,

The 'Owner' field on the Case entity is meant to contain who is assigned to the Case.

All the 'Assign To' buttons and processes in Dynamics 365 use the 'Owner' field. The Owner field is already that Assigned To field you'd like to have.

If you want to have a separation of concerns by having a real 'Case Manager' or 'Person Responsible' in addition to who is actually working on the Case, I would suggest creating an extra lookup field to User, and call it something like 'Case Manager' and simply relabel the 'Owner' field to 'Assigned To'

More commonly in such a scenario, you could work with Queues. If you create a queue where all the Cases go into, your service reps could be assigned to the the Queue items and the original Owner would remain on the Case.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/customer-engagement/customer-service/set-up-queues-manage-activities-cases

Hi Shahbaaz,

This wouldn't work if I want to have the ability for the user to select the user and team.

thanks

Sachin

Hi Michel,

Yes, what I would like to do is in the case entity. the owner of the case will stay the same but that person can 'Assign' the case to someone or team. I want to create a new field called 'Assigned To' which does what the owner field did. I thought about your suggestion to have two fields, but trying to avoid being messy. Maybe have a rule to hide the field which has not been populated.

It is also possible to then assign the case to another person or team which means further fields being created. trying to avoid lots of fields being created and ease of use for the end user.

thanks

Sachin

• Suggested answer

2744.owner.PNG

If you want user lookup you can add it like above

• Michel van den Brink Profile Picture

Hello Sachin,

Yes, you get one Owner field per entity. There's not real way around it.

The security model is based around this field, it would be quite a lot of effort for Microsoft to add more customization for this type of field.

As an alternative, you could create two fields, one Lookup to User and another to Team.

I'm not sure if that's helpful for your scenario, perhaps you could elaborate on that?

Hi Michel,

So essentially you get one per entity. and you cant create additional ones? anyway around this? you would think MS would allow you create the it.

Thanks for your help.

Sachin

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,459 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,783 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans