Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Supply Chain Management forum
Suggested answer

Security Roles for Excel Add-in

Posted on by Microsoft Employee

Hello All

What security roles must be assigned in order to make a user able to use Excel add in?
At first I though that the Office Integration Power User would do the deed but that wasn't the case

pastedimage1590150736427v1.png

pastedimage1590150822005v2.png

It looks like the only way to achieve this is by assign them the System Administrator role, but obviously i don't want anyone having full access

pastedimage1590150958755v3.png

Kind Regards

• Suggested answer
    RE: Security Roles for Excel Add-in

I faced similar issue. if Privilege "Open in Microsoft Office" or "SystemExportToExcelLimited" is modified to restrict then both Open in excel and Export to excel will disapear.

There is another way to hide the data entity for non administrative users is to select the "Hide entity" field on data entity list. but again it is not working as expected until 10.0.20 update.

As a workaround i created a new privilege and added the form data entities manually as deny, with this user do not have access to open in excel but have access to export to excel.

• Suggested answer
    Rahul Mohta Profile Picture
    Rahul Mohta 21,010 on at

with system user, the user should be able to open in Excel and also when they have edit/modify privilege

could you suggest and confirm the user privilege for the screen?

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

Hi Adrian

I've already looked into that privilege and it only allows users to export to excel, not to access the Excel Add In application and make changes to the information from there

pastedimage1590423110030v1.png

Best Regards

pastedimage1590423127441v2.png

• Suggested answer
    Adrian Peter Profile Picture
    Adrian Peter 219 on at

Hi 

The Excel-Add-In is linked to this Privilege ...

pastedimage1590420079997v1.png

… which is OOTB included in Role 'System User' --> as this is a Basic role for each User, they should have this Privilege unless you customized this role.

Further:

Excel-AddIn respects data-access-permission as assigned to a user via roles --> if the user doesn't have Access to entities (which are the datasource for Excel-AddIn), then he won't see the Menuitem for this Entity.

best regards,

Adrian

• Suggested answer
    Rahul Mohta Profile Picture
    Rahul Mohta 21,010 on at

as others suggested, data entity security os key and could always give user access to the form by  using security diagnostics or security configuration tool or in Visual studio

• André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture
    André Arnaud de Cal... 288,459 Super User on at

Hi Esteban,

The Open in Excel option itself is part of the system user role. To be able to use the entities itself, you need to provide access to the data entities involved using privileges. So, the users also needs to have permissions on the entity.

• Suggested answer
    SouravDam Profile Picture
    SouravDam 11,721 on at

Hello Esteban Torres,

In your screen shot, I don't see what are the privileges set for "System external user" role.

I just checked in my system and by default no such privilege is available for this role.

2742.JPG

Let's wait for other members to share their input on this.

Best regards,
    Sourav Dam

Kindly mark this thread 'Yes' if this is answered your query which may help other community members in this forum.

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at

Hi Sourav

Reviewing the privilege that you mention I find that is part of the System External User role which is already assigned to the user I'm doing the test with and it doesn't work

pastedimage1590152562493v1.png

pastedimage1590152669980v2.png

Best Regards

• Suggested answer
    SouravDam Profile Picture
    SouravDam 11,721 on at

Hello Esteban Torres,

Not sure but you can try with this privilege if this helps you restricting users to use excel add-ins in system - SystemExportToExcelLimited.

pastedimage1590151422288v1.png

You can add this privilege to the role in "Security configuration" form.

After doing that, refresh the system URL in that user's machine and see if this works!

Best regards.
    Sourav Dam

Kindly mark this thread 'Yes' if this is answered your query which may help other community members in this forum.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,459 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,783 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans