Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Dynamics 365 general forum
Suggested answer

Make fields mandatory to qualify lead

Posted on by 1,299

Hi Experts,

I would like to make certain fields as mandatory to qualify a lead, these fields should not be mandatory to save or to disqualify the lead but only to Qualify. Example. Name and email address is enough or mandatory to save a lead but if the lead has to be qualified then address and other custom fields becomes mandatory to qualify. In case to disqualify the lead, we should be able to do it with just the name and email.

I am not sure if i can use Business rules here to trigger it before save. I dont think i cannot use workflow as well. I know i can use javascript on the qualify button to make them mandatory or use plugin. I would like to know if there is any other OOB way to achieve this logic, may be through power automate etc, please help here.

Thanks in advance for your response.

• VD-30040722-0 Profile Picture
    VD-30040722-0 17 on at
    Make fields mandatory to qualify lead
    If the lead fields need to be made mandatory in order to avoid blank fields on target account/contact, then you can accomplish this by making a Business rule on account/contact and setting these target fields (mapped with lead fields) mandatory.

i just tested this case and it works:

on lead i want fields language to be mandatory & link with account. 
    without the BR on contact making these fiels mandatory on Contact (even if fields were set mandatory there by field setting), user could just qualify the lead to a new contact without filling out the language and without linking the lead to an existing account or creating a new account through the qualification...

by creating the business rule on contact, the qualification process now throws an error if user wants to create a new contact without the required fields being filled...
  • Botman Profile Picture
    Botman 20 on at
    RE: Make fields mandatory to qualify lead

Were you ever able to resolve your issue?

It seems that the Business Process Next Stage button runs the business logic and stops the user from progressing if the required fields are not filled in. It works as expected.

The issue I find is the Qualify button does not seem to trigger the same business logic and allows the Lead to be qualified and moved to the Next Step even if required fields are not filled in.

• Suggested answer
    Nya Profile Picture
    Nya 29,050 on at

Hi,

Since there is no "Qualify" in your BPF, you need to edit the OOTB BPF "Lead to Opportunity Sales Process".

Or you have to add a "Qualify" stage as what the "Lead to Opportunity Sales Process" BPF does.

• Davyjones Profile Picture
    Davyjones 1,299 on at

Hi Nya,

Thanks for your response, i tried your solutions and for me i am able to qualify the lead even without completing all the stages in BPF.

I created a new BPF called Lead Qualify, it has two stage Create and Qualify. The create has few fields mandated and the Qualify Stage has few more fields mandated. With the BPF in the Create stage and with just the few fields filled in, I am able to qualify the lead. Please let me know if I am missing anything. You can notice in the screenshot that without filling the fields in the second stage the lead is qualified. I did not open an existing lead but this was a new lead created.

pastedimage1636556278714v1.png

pastedimage1636556335390v2.png

pastedimage1636556505933v3.png

pastedimage1636556623952v4.png

Thanks in advance for your response.

• Suggested answer
    Nya Profile Picture
    Nya 29,050 on at

Hi,

You can achieve it with BFP.

Each stage contains a group of steps. Each step represents a field where data can be entered. People advance to the next stage by using the Next Stage button. You can make a step required so that people must enter data for the corresponding field before they can proceed to the next stage. This is commonly called ”stage-gating”.

For example, I set the "Capture Summary"(Description) field in BPF - "Lead to Opportunity Sales Process" as required.

pastedimage1636006438029v1.png

pastedimage1636006649151v2.png

After validate the BPF, if you click the Qualify button without filling the field, an error message will pop up.

pastedimage1636006769644v3.png

You can add the fields you need (address and other custom fields) into the Stage 1 of the BPF.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,584 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,864 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans