Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics SL forum
Unanswered

Help please.. Trying to restore msdb database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 R2

Posted on by 30

After changing Compatibility level to SQL Server 2005 (90) in the 2008 R2 environment.

I backed up the msdb database and copied it over to the SQL Server 2008 R2 environment.

But wile trying to restore using the GUI  and in options, choosing the "Overwrite the existing database (WIT REPLACE).  Getting the below error :

The backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing 'msdb' database.

RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3154).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• Community Member Profile Picture
    Community Member Microsoft Employee on at
    RE: Help please.. Trying to restore msdb database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 R2

Perhaps I am missing something here but why are you trying to backup the MSDB database and restore it to another SQL server?  MSDB is a system database containing pertinent SQL Server information but has nothing to do with Dynamics SL.  Since this is a Dynamics SL forum I am thinking you are trying to move SL databases to the new server and you do not need to move the MSDB database to do that.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 287,989 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,588 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans