Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Microsoft Dynamics GP forum
Suggested answer

tax calculated incorrectly

Posted on by 2,790

On a few SOP invoices, sales tax is including nontaxable items.  There is a tax schedule associated with the customer.  If I click on the arrow next to tax in the SOP invoice, I see the tax schedule and the tax amount is on the entire purchase including the nontaxable items.  Deleting the tax schedule, saving the invoice and reselecting the tax schedule doesn't change anything.  All was working fine for several months. 

• Frank Hamelly | MVP, MCP, CSA Profile Picture
    Frank Hamelly | MVP... 3,724 Super User on at
    Re: tax calculated incorrectly

LOL - I missed that Ruchard.

Your frend - Frunk

• Suggested answer
    Richard Whaley Profile Picture
    Richard Whaley 25,195 on at

Frank, Just pulling your chain for mis-typing my name....which is my kind of mistake as well.

Jennifer...glad you got it figured out

• Re: tax calculated incorrectly

I think I figured out the solution. I just had to click the default button inside the tax summary window so it would pull the tax schedule id from the customer.  I did that and it calculated the tax correctly.  We started seeing this problem when customers placed orders on our estore and the tax schedule was assigned after the order.  I'm thinking clicking the default button after the tax schedule is assigned with update the order.  Is my thinking correct?

• Frank Hamelly | MVP, MCP, CSA Profile Picture

I have no doubt about that Richard.  You've created some incredible documentation on GP and as you know - I have almost all of it!

• Suggested answer

If I remember correctly Frunk, those switches are covered in my document.  ;)

• Suggested answer
    Frank Hamelly | MVP, MCP, CSA Profile Picture

In addition to accessing Ruchard's fine documents, you might also want to check the Tax Calculation setting in Sales Order Processing Setup Options (Sales>Setup>Sales Order Processing, Options button).  Make sure 'Advanced' is selected.  If Single Schedule is marked, taxes won't be calculated for freight and miscellaneous charges; however, tax-exempt customers or items will be taxed using the single schedule assigned at the Customer level.

Hope this helps,

• Suggested answer

Setting your sales tax schedules correctly is complex and cannot be described here.  And, while I would love to have you buy one of my books that describes the process, this is Christmas week!  Go to our web site, go to Free Stuff->Position Papers->MS Dynamics GP White Papers and download the one on Sales and Use Tax in GP.  It tells you everything you need to know to get the tax schedules set correctly.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Replay now available! Dynamics 365 Community Call (CRM Edition)

Catch up on the first D365 Community Call held on 7/10

Community Spotlight of the Month

Kudos to Saurav Dhyani!

Congratulations to the June Top 10 community leaders!

These stars go above and beyond . . .

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 288,459 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 225,783 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,148

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans