Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Project Operations forum
Answered

How to add different calender template for resources with different holidays that are located in different countries, and make the holidays recurring?

Posted on by 37

Hi,

I am developing Project Operations for a client that are located in different counties. In that way resources would need to be associated with different calendar templates as the work hours and holidays differs. I know it is possible to make different work hour templates and connect individual resources to the right one, the problems are:

1. I am not allowed to make a non-working day recurring. Is it possible to have the same date as a recurring non-working day every year? - I have tried to make a public holiday within business closure, but then the public holiday will be at organizational level and applies to all the calendar templates.
  2. The client wants the calendar template that are relevant in one of the countries to be default, how can I make a calendar template default? - I have tried to change the default template, but then tasks will not calculate effort in the task tab of the project. 

Thank you for your help :)

• Verified answer
    Juan Simon Profile Picture
    Juan Simon 996 on at
    RE: How to add different calender template for resources with different holidays that are located in different countries, and make the holidays recurring?

Hi Madelein,

You can set Holidays inside Calendars by going to +New and selecting Time off and in it name what the Holiday is:

pastedimage1664766198605v4.png

I suggest you create a generic resource, called, say EST Time (or anything that makes sense) and set these two options as NO, see below:

pastedimage1664765638505v1.png

This way you can use this record as the 'source' calendar for your template. In it you can manually create Holidays and any 'off' days that resources should not be booked. So, if apply this template to say user A, and later go back to the template and make a change, it will 'sync' back to user A. That is what Microsoft is saying there. So, in order to apply the 'change' to user A, you go this user's record and apply the same template again.

In the XRM Toolbox, there is a tool called Bulk Update Work Hours  Â· XrmToolBox, that can also help set things across multiple calendar and users. It's worth taking a look to see if that could help.

pastedimage1664766606865v5.png

For your last question, make sure you set the Calendar, User, and Template to all be in the same Time Zone, that can create problems. Look at what setting you have for the WBS, is it Fixed Effort or Duration? That impacts the assumptions that the system makes as soon as you create a task and provide either a duration or effort:

pastedimage1664766854731v6.png

Please, mark this as answered.

Thanks,

• RE: How to add different calender template for resources with different holidays that are located in different countries, and make the holidays recurring?

Thank you for your feedback and response. With your advice I can still not make a holiyday a recurring non-working holiday on a yearly basis, please explain this in more detail if you can. 

pastedimage1664518482914v1.png

It seems like I have to add all the different holidays for every year, either in business closures or in calender template, maybe this is a feature that do not exist i Project Operations today?

Regarding calender template as a default template. How do you make one template default?
    In regard to my question abow, I have changed the default template and that has effected the effort calculations when adding tasks. The effort will now not be calculated automatically. Does this note from microsoft learn mean that you should not change the default template? 

Note
    If you change the calendar template, those changes don't propagate to the working hours of the project. To change the working hours of the project, a new template must be applied.

If so - is there a way to restore the original default calender template?

One more question. When I have added different work hours in a calender, the duration of a project is now calculated with desimals, and not round numbers. This is probably linked to the work hour template, but I have difficulties understanding that a day can be more or less the number of days that are in the calender. Do this have anything to do with the current system rule that all workingdays contain 8 working hours?

pastedimage1664519050477v2.png

Thank you again for your help!

• Verified answer
    Juan Simon Profile Picture
    Juan Simon 996 on at
    RE: How to add different calender template for resources with different holidays that are located in different countries, and make the holidays recurring?

Hi Madelein,

Yes, you can make days recurring for a particular calendar and set that calendar as a 'template' and reuse/reapply it to other staff. Just remove that day as a working day and save your Work Hours. Make sure you select either of the two last options:

pastedimage1664488423545v1.png

pastedimage1664488238212v1.png

Now, Holidays set in Business Closures, will affect everyone's calendars, 'if' their calendars have Observe Business Closure set to Yes (by selecting under Work Hours):

pastedimage1664488254400v2.png

For the next one select one person per region/country and set their Calendar for that region and set it for all those users. Unfortunately, when you create a Project, it defaults to what was set inside Parameters (the main Organizational Unit). Now, I tested and that DOES NOT affect the WBS, as it grabs the holidays and calendars set for every resource you pick in your project, so not sure why we need the Parameter's calendar if in real life you want to know when people will be available, regardless of where they work from, say Canada or the US. If it's holiday in the USA this Friday, I want to know that the resources frm Seattle won't work on that day, but my resources in Canada will, for example.

I will post a blog on this soon with more details and options.

Hope this help, please mark it as answered.

Juan Simon

Blog: www.d365hacks.com 

Under review

Thank you for your reply! To ensure a great experience for everyone, your content is awaiting approval by our Community Managers. Please check back later.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Anton Venter – Community Spotlight

Kudos to our October Community Star of the month!

Announcing Our 2024 Season 2 Super Users!

A new season of Super Users has arrived, and we are so grateful for the daily…

Leaderboard

André Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

André Arnaud de Cal... 290,628 Super User 2024 Season 2

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 228,914 Most Valuable Professional

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,150

Leaderboard

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans