Can't log in as 'sa' on GP2015 new install

Question Status

Verified
DWelch asked a question on 15 Jul 2015 8:11 AM

I have a new install of Dynamics GP2015 in a terminal server environment, installed on SQL Server 2012 using SQL Server Authentication.  The 'sa' login works fine when launching SQL Management Studio but when attempting to login to GP I receive the following:

All other users can log in including DYNSA.  In addition, I'm not able to add companies in the new install of Management Reporter which I assume is related.

Thanks in advance!

Debi

Suggested Answer
Jorge Mejia responded on 15 Jul 2015 8:28 AM

Hi Debi,

Can you log into GP Utilities using 'sa'?

What is the length of  your 'sa' password? If the password length is more than 15 characters, make a new password with no more than 15 characters.

Can you please attach the message you receive when you try logging into GP?

Thanks

DWelch responded on 15 Jul 2015 8:35 AM

Yes, I can login to Utilities and the Password is 16 characters.  I see that the error did not post but it reads; 'The login failed. Attempt to login again or contact your system administrator'

Verified Answer
Jorge Mejia responded on 15 Jul 2015 8:37 AM

Change the password to no more than 15 characters. This should solve your problem, it worked for me.

There is a mismatch between the keyable length for the login password between Dynamics GP Utilities login and  Dynamics GP login windows.

The maximum length of the datatype for the password in the Dynamics GP Utilities login window is 30, while the maximum length of the datatype for the password in the Dynamics GP login window is 15, therefore you have to go for the shortest length.

Please Verify this answer if it has been useful to you. This could help others trying to solve the same or similar problem.

DWelch responded on 15 Jul 2015 9:19 AM

That was it, I changed the password to 13 characters and I'm in.  Thanks for the information and the quick response.

Jorge Mejia responded on 16 Jul 2015 2:10 PM

No problem, I am glad you solved the problem

Sandip Jadhav responded on 17 Jul 2015 3:40 PM

Just for your information I was facing same issue few days before. I have documented in my blog. : sandipdjadhav.blogspot.com/.../dynamics-gp-sql-password-something.html

Why utilities allow to enter password more than 15 character?

Tks

Sandip

Jorge Mejia responded on 17 Jul 2015 3:59 PM

Great post Sandip!

As you know Dynamics GP and Dynamics GP Utilities each has its own dictionary, therefore 2 fields from 2 different files with different Datatypes which SHOULD be the same.

I thought it was just a GP 2015 issue, but you mentioned in your post it is also a GP 2013 R2 issue.

I wonder if the problem also exists in GP 2010.

Jorge Mejia responded on 22 Jul 2015 11:04 AM

I just checked GP 2010 and GP 2010 Utilities login windows and they also have the same login issue than GP 2013 and GP 2015.

Here there is a link of a post related to this problem which give further explanation of the problem:

https://community.dynamics.com/gp/b/redbeardsblog/archive/2015/07/17/sql-39-sa-39-user-cannot-login-to-dynamics-gp-2015

Taofik Lias responded on 29 Sep 2016 11:15 AM

how can i create the password ? Just install GP 2015 on my PC but the GP Utilities asking for sa Password what can i do ? how would i get the password?

Sandip Jadhav responded on 30 Sep 2016 7:17 AM

your SQL Server sa password ? You need to entered there.

How you created ODBC?

Tks

Sandip

farrukh Al-Majeed responded on 26 May 2017 5:09 AM

Same problem facing after new installing Dynamics GP 2015 with SQL 2014 ,error says " this login failed Attempt to log in again or  contact your system administrator kindly guide me .... :( :(

DWelch responded on 26 May 2017 7:38 AM

Verify that your sa password is 15 characters or less.

Verified Answer
Jorge Mejia responded on 15 Jul 2015 8:37 AM

Change the password to no more than 15 characters. This should solve your problem, it worked for me.

There is a mismatch between the keyable length for the login password between Dynamics GP Utilities login and  Dynamics GP login windows.

The maximum length of the datatype for the password in the Dynamics GP Utilities login window is 30, while the maximum length of the datatype for the password in the Dynamics GP login window is 15, therefore you have to go for the shortest length.

Please Verify this answer if it has been useful to you. This could help others trying to solve the same or similar problem.

Suggested Answer
Jorge Mejia responded on 15 Jul 2015 8:28 AM

Hi Debi,

Can you log into GP Utilities using 'sa'?

What is the length of  your 'sa' password? If the password length is more than 15 characters, make a new password with no more than 15 characters.

Can you please attach the message you receive when you try logging into GP?

Thanks