Windows 10 Creator and GP 2015 R2

Question Status

Verified
WindyCityGP asked a question on 1 May 2017 9:19 AM

Is GP 2015 R2 compatible with Windows 10 Creator?  One of our users in IT installed the Creator update on his machine and now receives the following error:

Unhandled object exception:  the parameter is incorrect

Exception_Class_Object_Exception

Exception SubClass:-2147024809

I copied his security settings to a GP test user on my Windows 7 machine and I do not receive the error.

Ron Koenderink responded on 1 May 2017 12:01 PM

I just noticed the same error using GP 2016 R2 and Windows 10 Creator.

Suggested Answer
Béat Bucher responded on 1 May 2017 2:50 PM

Hi Windy & Ron,

This has likely nothing to do with GP security... Keep on mind that the windows Creator update is a major version change and you may want to reinstall your GP client and all its component

WindyCityGP responded on 1 May 2017 2:52 PM

I'll give that a try!

Ron Koenderink responded on 1 May 2017 3:05 PM

It was clean install for me.  The W10 Creator computer is a new computer.  I tried un-installing and re-installing GP 2016 R2 and got the same problem.

Ron

WindyCityGP responded on 1 May 2017 3:08 PM

That's not good :(

Suggested Answer
Béat Bucher responded on 1 May 2017 3:28 PM

Ron,

How are you launching the GP client? Have you marked the client to be run in 'administrator ' mode and is the user member of the local admin group?

PS:  check also the local windows system log to see if there is a little more details about the error …

Ron Koenderink responded on 1 May 2017 3:48 PM

I normally run as Administrator in order to install VBA reports.  It gets the same either as administrator or not.  I had already checked the logs with nothing useful.

WindyCityGP responded on 1 May 2017 4:01 PM

I've heard Creator is still a bit buggy.  I'm waiting for it to come through the auto-update on my computer at home to see if they have resolved some of the issues.

Vaidhy Mohan responded on 1 May 2017 8:02 PM

I've installed GP2016 R2 (16.00.0579) on my Windows 10 Creator Update VM, and I've not seen this error yet. I'm the local admin on this VM and I have all necessary security permissions on Microsoft Dynamics folder.

I'd like to understand when you receive the error; at the time of login or at the time of an operation (like entry/posting/inquiry/others).

Ron Koenderink responded on 1 May 2017 10:45 PM

I am running 16.00.0558.

I see the error when I close the application.  I have not done any transaction processing other than loading the custom reports.  I was not to the stage of testing yet before I found the error.

Suggested Answer
Vaidhy Mohan responded on 1 May 2017 11:09 PM

What I am trying to confirm is whether this issue is something we can consistently recreate. In that respect, I could not recreate on my machine. Mine works perfectly alright without any error being thrown.

Under the circumstances, I'd recommend to you to report this to Microsoft directly to see if they could help you identify the cause and resolve it.

Suggested Answer
Béat Bucher responded on 2 May 2017 6:51 AM

I concur with Vaidy..

Ron,

You menetioned something about VBA & a custom report... to me, this already raises a flag.. which means it could involve elements or objects of the system that are not part of a default bare bone GP client.. Are you getting this error message with a standard GP client setup ? what are the modules that are installed ? any 3rd party product that might be out of the norm ?

Windy,

I don't know where you've read that the Windows 10 Creator update is still a little buggy ? I've been participating in the Windows Insider program since the begining and to me that release is one of the most complete build so far and pretty stable. Not saying you wont encouter issues with some of the 3rd party apps, but that's a different story. Win10 IMHO is far superior to Win7 to that extend and offers way more features and improvements.

Let's try to get to the root of the problem by eliminating potential troublemakers one by one.

WindyCityGP responded on 2 May 2017 8:05 AM

I'll wait until it comes through the automatic update and then see if there is an issue.  People have had issues if they manually download and install it www.independent.co.uk/.../windows-10-creators-update-issues-microsoft-user-problems-manual-download-a7705091.html

Ron Koenderink responded on 2 May 2017 9:12 AM

We had a problem trying to get the Creator update to come through the WSUS server.  We finally loaded from an ISO.

Yes, it is repeatable.

We do have a number of GP modules and third party modules configured in our setup.

Suggested Answer
Béat Bucher responded on 2 May 2017 10:06 AM

Windy,

If your users are running Windows 10 Enterprise, it's not likely you'll the creator update soon.. because the update will be driven by your IT department and pushed down the computers.

Ron,

Can you start trying to strip out from the DYNAMCIS.SET launch file most of the addtionnal modules and 3-rd party products and launch a bare bone GP client to see if you still get the error ?

Verified Answer
Ron Koenderink responded on 2 May 2017 9:54 PM

Mekorma confirmed the problem and they have a fix.  You can request fixed version from Mekorma.

Ron K.

Suggested Answer
Béat Bucher responded on 1 May 2017 2:50 PM

Hi Windy & Ron,

This has likely nothing to do with GP security... Keep on mind that the windows Creator update is a major version change and you may want to reinstall your GP client and all its component

Suggested Answer
Béat Bucher responded on 1 May 2017 3:28 PM

Ron,

How are you launching the GP client? Have you marked the client to be run in 'administrator ' mode and is the user member of the local admin group?

PS:  check also the local windows system log to see if there is a little more details about the error …

Suggested Answer
Vaidhy Mohan responded on 1 May 2017 11:09 PM

What I am trying to confirm is whether this issue is something we can consistently recreate. In that respect, I could not recreate on my machine. Mine works perfectly alright without any error being thrown.

Under the circumstances, I'd recommend to you to report this to Microsoft directly to see if they could help you identify the cause and resolve it.

Suggested Answer
Béat Bucher responded on 2 May 2017 6:51 AM

I concur with Vaidy..

Ron,

You menetioned something about VBA & a custom report... to me, this already raises a flag.. which means it could involve elements or objects of the system that are not part of a default bare bone GP client.. Are you getting this error message with a standard GP client setup ? what are the modules that are installed ? any 3rd party product that might be out of the norm ?

Windy,

I don't know where you've read that the Windows 10 Creator update is still a little buggy ? I've been participating in the Windows Insider program since the begining and to me that release is one of the most complete build so far and pretty stable. Not saying you wont encouter issues with some of the 3rd party apps, but that's a different story. Win10 IMHO is far superior to Win7 to that extend and offers way more features and improvements.

Let's try to get to the root of the problem by eliminating potential troublemakers one by one.

Suggested Answer
Béat Bucher responded on 2 May 2017 10:06 AM

Windy,

If your users are running Windows 10 Enterprise, it's not likely you'll the creator update soon.. because the update will be driven by your IT department and pushed down the computers.

Ron,

Can you start trying to strip out from the DYNAMCIS.SET launch file most of the addtionnal modules and 3-rd party products and launch a bare bone GP client to see if you still get the error ?

Suggested Answer
Béat Bucher responded on 3 May 2017 11:37 AM

Windy,

You should never apply a product update to a GP client because it's a different OS.. consider GP more or less as OS-agnostic.. (though 3rd-party products may not follow the rule and .NET libraries may be different, depending on the OS, hence always check Microsoft's system requirements for compatibility)..

When a given GP version is working on one windows OS version, but does not with another one, it's most of the time a 3rd-party issue.. but do never try to install a newer version of the 3rd-party module, because it's going almost certainly to update the minor release version of your GP DUxxxx tables, and then you'll run into issues with the other GP clients that are not aligne anymore with the same version, forcing you to update in a rush all the other systems..

Always TEST the new release on an isolated TEST-environment, and only then when you're sure there is no impact towards other GP clients, apply it to the production.

Suggested Answer
Perry Smith - ISS responded on 4 May 2017 10:46 AM

Do you have Mekorma MICR installed?

If so you need to update to build 155