Business Requirement:

Contact Centre staff need to be able to quickly respond to customer enquiries by sending standardised emails with standardised answers and associated attachments.

• Questions the contact centre routinely answer can cover both sales opportunities (e.g. request for brochures) as well as requests for service / complaints / issues requiring investigation.
  • Solution does not include Interactive Service Hub.
  • Knowledge Base is for internal use only (not for portal use at this stage).
  • Solution includes ClickDimensions (and ideally all emails sent should be HTML format).
  • Knowledge Management has been configured to allow articles to be available from Case and Opportunity.

What I have done:

• I have set up an email template with mail-merge style content - which is supposed to insert basic response text, customer information, dear name etc, and the subject of the email
  • I have attached copies of the files that I want to have attached (when the email template is sent out) to the email template.
  • I have set up a subject hierarchy
  • I have set up a Knowledge Base Article with content and the appropriate attached files which should be sent whenever the article content is used.
  • I have created a case linked to the customer with a relevant title.

How I am trying to use it:

• Email arrives, CTI pops the customer's contact record.
  • I create a case from the Contact record
  • I click to create an email to respond to the customer. 
  • I click to use the standard case email template I have set up * (ideally this step would be fully automated - but not sure how this could be done)
  • I then search for relevant article and select to insert the article details. **
  • Then I edit the resulting email (if necessary).
  • Then I send the email.

I also need to have a similar process for Opportunities

• Email arrives, CTI pops the customer's contact record.
  • I create a opportunity from the Contact record
  • I click to create an email to respond to the customer. 
  • I click to use the standard opportunity email template I have set up * (ideally this step would be fully automated - but not sure how this could be done)
  • I then search for relevant sales brochure (stored as an attachment with covering email / summary text in the CRM knowledge base) and select to insert the article details. **
  • Then I edit the resulting email (if necessary)
  • Then I send the email.

Results:

The search on article seems pretty flaky

*  Selecting the email template does insert the subject (standard text in the template) BUT it does not insert any mail merge text or standard text into the details/content of the email.  I.e. the template does not work!

* The attachments (attached to the template email) are also not automatically attached to the email.

** The article text is inserted into the body of the email but the attachments (attached to the article) are not automatically attached to the email.

What have I done wrong?

What else do I need to do / other suggestions do you have to meet the business requirement?