Try Microsoft Edge
A fast and secure browser that's designed for Windows 10
I posted a similar question yesterday, but I'll make this one simpler.
When creating an AX source type, where do you specify which AX instance or legal entity is the source? Am I missing something glaringly obvious here? All the documentation and blog posts seem to suggest that this version supports 'copy company' features through the use of 'AX as a source'.
As above, I can create an AX source type, but nowhere can I seem to be able to specify which AX instance is the source!
the way you want to use the AX source type is the following:
- Create processing group with entities using the AX source type
- Start "Get staging data" in the environment and the legal entity you want to copy from
- Now you can export the processing with all staging data from the "Processing group" from
- In the system you want to use your previous exported data you have to import it via "System administration > Data export / import > Import"
- To copy the staging data to target you have to start "Copy to target" in the environment and the legal entity you want to copy to
Hope you're well. Can you believe it was over a year ago we were in Amsterdam! Time flies....
Anyway, what you've said makes sense. Thank you.
I didn't realise it was a manual process of exporting/importing flat files to company data between AX entities, I was expecting more automation in the copy process.
Some things to note:
- I cannot execute the 'Get Staging Data' step. I am presented with a 'Query Does not contain 1 data source' error. I think this is because I am using 'Table' entity types as my entity targets within the processing group.
- Because of the above issue, I have to manually update the 'Staging Status' from 'Didn't run' to 'Ready' during the get staging data step. This is the only way I am able to view the staging data from the execution history.
- 'Copy to Target' is always disabled for me.
That said, I was successfully able to export/import a .dat file using the method you suggested.
yes I can´t believe time flies that fast, too. Hopefully there will be another AXEA-Event in Amsterdam or maybe London where we can meet again.
We had not used the "direct table" option of DMF, but maybe you don´t have to do the 'Get Staging Data' step and directly export the dat-file?
I think you're right Paul. Kind of obvious when you think about it!
For what we need it for, I think I was expecting more functionality than what is already available with the standard 'definition groups'.
Thanks for your help. Let me know if you're ever in London.