Try Microsoft Edge
A fast and secure browser that's designed for Windows 10
Does anyone have any ideas on why Master Planning would start throwing scheduling errors on end items that previously been working fine? I've got a client that started getting "not enough capacity could be found" feedback messages, resource group and resources appear fine, not using finite materials or capacity anywhere. When looking at the part routing, though, I notice route type is "standard", but when viewing the rout for the MP planned order it's showing up as "vendor" and it's definitely not an outsourced op.
AX master planning works with calendars for the resources. You need to create new working times for coming periods. If your master planning is setup to look forward for 100 days, these days should be available as working times in the calendars. Usually this needs to be updated periodically, e.g. once per year.
Good guess, I checked and confirmed calendars go beyond both capacity time fence and planning time fence. I'm going to try setting up event trace to see if that reveals anything.
I might have narrowed this down--when I pull up applicable resources, and look at "capacity load", there's plenty of open time available across the calendar. When I look at "capacity reservations", there's also minimal load, wide open capacity. When I look at "Reserved for planned jobs" on the organization/resources ribbon, I find the resource is very heavily loaded across the calendar, mostly with MP planned orders that I do not see as valid records in the planned orders list pages.
Is there some way to purge orphaned capacity requirements like this?
The planned orders are purged on each MP run, so look at the pegging, there is demand causing the plan to be generated - you need to cancel or fulfil the demand.
Yes, I understand planned orders are purged on a regen. That's why I referred to these as "orphaned" capacity reservations. They refer to planned order records that do not exist in planned order tables/list pages. I can't trace the demand through a record that does not exist. There are no sales orders, forecasts, or minimum stock/safety that are driving demand, just bogus capacity reservations.
Well as standard these entries are deleted when the planned order is removed, I misread the reference to the missing planned orders (I am assuming they are not related to another plan and actually do not exist). If the problem is on-rolling I would suggest a developer looks at the capacity deletion code in the plan. I am assuming you have not customized anything in this area. You may also want to report it to MS with your version reference, there maybe a CU if it was a standard bug.
The only standard setup you have is in the production parameters for using planned orders in capacity scheduling, it uses them and the regen deletes and replans.
Closing the loop on this thread, confirmed that the problem was poor resource versus resource group data. Client had changed several routes from requiring 1 resource consuming x hours to consuming n resources (which would schedule across x/n hours), defined resource group capacity based upon n headcount, but defined <n resources within that group. Job scheduling failed because even though in theory (at operation/resource group) level there were hours, and even though the resource(s) in that group had capacity, there were not enough people to meet the headcount called out in the routes.