Question Status

Verified
Dona83 asked a question on 19 Mar 2015 2:46 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to define users at run time for workflow's escalation like use of particpant for appraval ?

Thanks in advance

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 19 Mar 2015 2:57 AM

Hi Dona83,

You can try setting up a workflow queue to achieve this. I have not done this before using an escalation. Usually it was a single person in my scenarios.

Jonathan Halland responded on 19 Mar 2015 3:06 AM

Hi Dona.

Can you give us an example of how you would see this scenario working?

Dona83 responded on 19 Mar 2015 3:47 AM

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your response.

In fact when you setup an escalation you can define a specified user, generally is it possible to define this user at run time? This user or list users is memorized on the caller record of the workflow

Jonathan Halland responded on 19 Mar 2015 4:11 AM

Hi Dona.

You are unfortunately only use Heirarchy Providers on escaltion, not the normal Participant providers. These are a bit more tricky to use but could certainly accomplish what you are trying to do.

Are you basically wanting it to go to an alternate user defined on the form if the original approver didnt approve it? Is there any logic behind who this user is or is it simply a selection by the originator.

Dona83 responded on 19 Mar 2015 4:39 AM

Jonathan,

Yes there are 2 alternate users defined on the form, ther is no logic behind

Verified Answer
Jonathan Halland responded on 19 Mar 2015 7:22 AM

Hi Dona.

I've looked at a few options inside AX and I can't come across a particularly nice way to accomplish this. Two not so nice suggentions that you could work off.

#1. Heirarchy provider: Customise a heirarchy provider to return the users that you would like to regardless of who the originator is. In your workflow configuration select your heirarchy and create a stop condition that will always evaluate to true.

OR

#2. On your approve menu-item set a flag e.g. "User Approved" on your record to true. Create a participant provider than can return both of the custom users mentioned.

Then in your workflow config: 1. Create an escalation action of "approve" on your original approval step (if auto-approved the "User approved" checkbox will not have been set as the menu-item was never pressed. 2. Add an additional step with a pre-condition that checks if the "user approved" mark has been checked. If it has by-pass the step, if it hasn't assign to the relevant user using your participant provider.

I hope this helps a bit.

Dona83 responded on 19 Mar 2015 1:34 PM

Thanks a lot Jonathan.I Will try it and inform you

Verified Answer
Jonathan Halland responded on 19 Mar 2015 7:22 AM

Hi Dona.

I've looked at a few options inside AX and I can't come across a particularly nice way to accomplish this. Two not so nice suggentions that you could work off.

#1. Heirarchy provider: Customise a heirarchy provider to return the users that you would like to regardless of who the originator is. In your workflow configuration select your heirarchy and create a stop condition that will always evaluate to true.

OR

#2. On your approve menu-item set a flag e.g. "User Approved" on your record to true. Create a participant provider than can return both of the custom users mentioned.

Then in your workflow config: 1. Create an escalation action of "approve" on your original approval step (if auto-approved the "User approved" checkbox will not have been set as the menu-item was never pressed. 2. Add an additional step with a pre-condition that checks if the "user approved" mark has been checked. If it has by-pass the step, if it hasn't assign to the relevant user using your participant provider.

I hope this helps a bit.