Cannot Register Trace Parser Data Base

Microsoft Dynamics AX Forum

Travis Bagley asked a question on 31 Jul 2015 9:25 AM
My Badges

Question Status

Verified

Hi All,

When I try to register a DB for trace parser I am met with this message:

I have tried just about everything I can think of resolve this error. I have uninstalled and reinstalled trace parser. I tried several different names. The only thing I can think of is a permission issue, but I am running as Admin so I don't know where else to look. Is there some SQL permission I must change?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Travis,

It can be indeed caused by SQL security. You have to verify if you have permissions on SQL. Otherwise use another account with the correct permissions.

If you log into SSMS, are you able to create a new database there?

Travis Bagley responded on 31 Jul 2015 10:11 AM
My Badges

Yes I was able to create a new test data base with no issues. I was also able to delete.

Please look into the event log, SQL server logs and, if it has any, Trace Parser log.

Travis Bagley responded on 31 Jul 2015 10:57 AM
My Badges

Thank you for your help.

The following is the only event thrown on the server with the trace parser.

The description for Event ID 172 from source Dynamics .NET Business Connector 6.0 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

6.0:

Dynamics .NET Business Connector

C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_64\Microsoft.Dynamics.AX.ManagedInteropCore\6.3.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.Dynamics.AX.ManagedInteropCore.dll

.Net

Trace

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics AX\60\\Client\

-

-

AA-TESTAOS2

Disabled

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

These are the two events on the SQL server:

Starting up database 'TEST123'.

Setting database option RECOVERY to SIMPLE for database 'TEST123'.

And then I get the error. There doesn't seem to be any useful info stored by the trace parser itself. Is there another place to look?

Is TEST123 the database you tried to create for Trace Parser? (Please realize that we don't anything about your system and your actions except what you tell us.) It would mean that it was created and things failed later.

Travis Bagley responded on 31 Jul 2015 12:38 PM
My Badges

Correct. I'll try to elaborate as much as possible.

This environment is running in Azure. I have never had an issue with trace parser anywhere else.

It makes the database and I can see that is has a table structure. If I close trace parser and reopen the DB name is filled in and I can connect to it, but if I try to import a trace trace parser crashes. When the parser crashes if I open it again the file now shows as being there but if I hit open it says trace has no session.

I deleted the DB and tried to register again and this time I see these two warnings:

SearchIndexer (4428) Windows: A request to write to the file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb" at offset 65503232 (0x0000000003e78000) for 32768 (0x00008000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (16 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

SearchIndexer (4428) Windows: A request to write to the file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb" at offset 0 (0x0000000000000000) for 32768 (0x00008000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (16 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. In addition, 0 other I/O requests to this file have also taken an abnormally long time to be serviced since the last message regarding this problem was posted 0 seconds ago. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

Now after the failed attempt to register if I import the trace it says trace parser has stopped working and I find this in the event log:

Application: Microsoft.Dynamics.AX.Tracing.TraceParser.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Data.UpdateException
Stack:
at Microsoft.Dynamics.AX.Tracing.TraceParser.TraceDatabaseBuilder.WriteDatabase()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Faulting application name: Microsoft.Dynamics.AX.Tracing.TraceParser.exe, version: 6.3.164.0, time stamp: 0x533f498a
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54505737
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000008b9c
Faulting process id: 0x2544
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0cbb63f2f09a9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics AX\60\TraceParser\Microsoft.Dynamics.AX.Tracing.TraceParser.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 7a3e79aa-37aa-11e5-80d6-00155dc11434
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

In SQL:

Autogrow of file 'TEST123' in database 'TEST123' was cancelled by user or timed out after 31447 milliseconds.  Use ALTER DATABASE to set a smaller FILEGROWTH value for this file or to explicitly set a new file size.

I don't know where to get anymore information. There doesn't seem to be any sort of log as to why the DB doesn't register. 

So where do you get the error from your original question?

It seems that you have some problem with writing to disk - maybe you should measure it first to have some idea how bad it is and to be able to compare it with situation after making changes.

Stop the index service - that's what the first warning is about and it make at least some pressure on the disk.

Then try the suggestion that SQL Server gave you (to play with file growth setup).

SAIRAMKRISHNA POTHUKUCHI responded on 23 Sep 2016 5:48 AM
Suggested Answer

Hi run microsoft Trace parser as "Administrator" it will work

Travis Bagley

Hi All,

I have tried just about everything I can think of resolve this error. I have uninstalled and reinstalled trace parser. I tried several different names. The only thing I can think of is a permission issue, but I am running as Admin so I don't know where else to look. Is there some SQL permission I must change?

Thanks in advance.

Sandeep P responded on 16 Oct 2017 9:08 AM

Hi Travis,

I am facing the same issue, Were you able to resolve this?

Regards,

Sandeep

Travis Bagley responded on 16 Oct 2017 10:11 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

This was a long time ago, but I believe the resolution was actually to not run as Administrator. I was added as Administrator on both AOS and SQL boxes and to the SQL instance. I believe afterwards I kept trying to run as Admin and for whatever reason it wasn't recognizing me as having enough privileges. I then retried using my user account which was Admin everywhere and it worked.

amir a responded on 17 May 2019 8:43 AM

Hey Travis,

I know that that was ages ago. But I am facing a similar issue. mine doesn't even show an error message. when I try to register the db, it keeps running for a while and then it the screen just re appears again. Any thoghts?

Thanks

Travis Bagley responded on 20 May 2019 6:16 AM
My Badges

I'd suggest deep diving event logs.

In my case it is always an issue with security or firewall. If you are not getting an error I would check firewall permissions as the request may be blocked.

Travis Bagley responded on 16 Oct 2017 10:11 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

This was a long time ago, but I believe the resolution was actually to not run as Administrator. I was added as Administrator on both AOS and SQL boxes and to the SQL instance. I believe afterwards I kept trying to run as Admin and for whatever reason it wasn't recognizing me as having enough privileges. I then retried using my user account which was Admin everywhere and it worked.

SAIRAMKRISHNA POTHUKUCHI responded on 23 Sep 2016 5:48 AM
Suggested Answer

Hi run microsoft Trace parser as "Administrator" it will work

Travis Bagley

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS