SBX - Forum Post Title

can we specify the Maintain user license property alone for the menuitem

Microsoft Dynamics AX Forum

Kasthu asked a question on 18 May 2018 12:32 AM
My Badges

Question Status

Verified

hi,

i need clarifications on view user license and maintain user license...is this enough to specify the property :maintain user alone..is this necessary to specify the view license access..

because when we give enterprise CAL to Maintain user licence ..which is higher access ..then obviously we can also view it right ..if so what is the use of View userlicence in menuitem

please resolve this soon...

Ada Ding responded on 18 May 2018 1:25 AM
My Badges

Hi Kasthu,

Each entry point has two separate user license properties, ViewUserLicense and MaintainUserLicense. The ViewUserLicense property is applied if the user has view rights to the entry point, the MaintainUserLicense property is applied if the user has above view rights to the entry point.

Ada Ding responded on 18 May 2018 1:33 AM
My Badges

From a pricing perspective, the higher the license type is in the hierarchy the higher the cost associated for that license. With this is mind, it is very important to not over provision a user’s access and be charged for a higher license than is really needed.

Kasthu responded on 18 May 2018 1:42 AM
My Badges

hi ada,

thank you for your quick reply..

so both are dependent right?

can you elaborate ..for eg ..view user license is set to universal ..maintain license set to Enterprise ..can you explain this

Ada Ding responded on 18 May 2018 2:03 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

It means that if a user needs to view the data, he/she must have universal license at least, and enterprise license is needed if he/she need to update the data.

Kasthu responded on 18 May 2018 2:08 AM
My Badges

okay ...but i cant understand one thing .. if something is able to update using the maintain user license then there data is visible ...then y we are setting the view user license ...

sorry to ask you the same question again and again .. i couldnt understand exactly the concept behind it

Ada Ding responded on 18 May 2018 2:29 AM
My Badges

If you have the permission to update data, the view user license make no sense to you of course. But generally, the permission required by viewing should be less than the one required by updating so that the users don't need the highest level license to view the data to help saving cost.

Hi Kasthuri,

The view user license is intended for users which do have access with only read access. It would be possible to specify that a user will need an enterprise CAL for having full access on a form. Another person who needs to be able to inquiry this form only can then require a task user CAL.

Just noticed that Ada already provided some answers....

Sorry for my duplicate here.

Kasthu responded on 18 May 2018 3:06 AM
My Badges

thanks alot all of you !

Ada Ding responded on 18 May 2018 2:03 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

It means that if a user needs to view the data, he/she must have universal license at least, and enterprise license is needed if he/she need to update the data.

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS