SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Backups and Restores of D365 BC data

Dynamics 365 Business Central Forum

Darien Tisseur asked a question on 12 Jul 2018 5:34 PM

Question Status

Suggested Answer

Hi there,

I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed yet, but what is the process for having backups and the ability to restore data in D365 BC?  If I'm creating a new company for a client for go-live and let's say we import master data and we didn't like that import, is there a way to have a backup of your data before you imported?

I thought I heard that you could make copies of your Business Central environment but I couldn't find that either.

Thanks, 

Darien

Brittney Robertson responded on 12 Jul 2018 8:28 PM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hello,

My understanding is that right now you'd have to reach out to Microsoft (and only in a disaster recovery situation) for them to restore data.

Instead, for the implementations I've done, I used the "copy company" feature if I need to test something. If you search "Companies", then you'll come to the page where you can add/copy/delete companies. Highlight the company you want to copy and choose "copy" in the ribbon- then give it a new name.

As for any master data, if I import it and it isn't looking good, I've also used the Edit in Excel function to highlight everything I don't like, delete them and then "publish" it back to the company. If these are initial imports (no transactional data yet), then you shouldn't have any issue mass deleting in Excel.

Hope this helps,

Brittney

Suggested Answer

Backup and restore is a feature not available now. At the moment, you can open a support request to Microsoft directly from BC and they will provide you a backup of your tenant if necessary.

Brittney Robertson responded on 12 Jul 2018 8:28 PM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Hello,

My understanding is that right now you'd have to reach out to Microsoft (and only in a disaster recovery situation) for them to restore data.

Instead, for the implementations I've done, I used the "copy company" feature if I need to test something. If you search "Companies", then you'll come to the page where you can add/copy/delete companies. Highlight the company you want to copy and choose "copy" in the ribbon- then give it a new name.

As for any master data, if I import it and it isn't looking good, I've also used the Edit in Excel function to highlight everything I don't like, delete them and then "publish" it back to the company. If these are initial imports (no transactional data yet), then you shouldn't have any issue mass deleting in Excel.

Hope this helps,

Brittney

Suggested Answer

Backup and restore is a feature not available now. At the moment, you can open a support request to Microsoft directly from BC and they will provide you a backup of your tenant if necessary.

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS