SBX - Forum Post Title

Error when installing RU1 for CRM 2013

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum

Christian Ternek asked a question on 18 Dec 2013 10:53 PM
My Badges

Question Status

Unanswered

Hi!

I have the version 6.0.0.809 installed and want to upgrade to RU 1.

While upgrading I get the error :

Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateAction failed.

Invalid column name 'MajorVersion'.
Invalid column name 'MinorVersion'.
Invalid column name 'BuildNumber'.
Invalid column name 'DBUpdateActionId'.
Invalid column name 'CrmDatabase'.

Can someone help me solving this issue?

And in the logs I see following:

07:39:09|   Info| The MSI Installer succeeded. You must restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
07:39:09|   Info| CrmAction execution time; MspInstallAction; 00:01:48.3872777
07:40:18|   Info| CrmAction execution time; RegisterPerformanceCountersAction; 00:01:08.8274415
07:40:18|   Info| CrmAction execution time; PatchPortalAction; 00:00:00.0156245
07:40:18|   Info| CrmAction execution time; PatchPlatformAction; 00:00:00
07:40:18|   Info| CrmAction execution time; PatchDeploymentWebServiceAction; 00:00:00
07:40:18|   Info| CrmAction execution time; PatchPrivacyFileAction; 00:00:00.1406211
07:40:18|   Info| CrmAction execution time; CreatePerformanceCountersAction; 00:00:00.0156246
07:40:25|   Info| CrmAction execution time; RegisterRouterPerformanceCountersAction; 00:00:06.9398840
07:40:31|   Info| Found the older table DBUpdateInstallInfo_V5, updating new table and deleting
07:40:31|   Info| Updating table with older rows: DBUpdateInstallInfo
07:40:31|   Info| InstallerException: Invalid column name 'MajorVersion'.
07:40:31|  Error| System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid column name 'MajorVersion'.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateInstallInfo.CreateTablesIfNotExists()
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateInstallInfo..ctor(CrmDatabase database)
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateDatabaseInstaller.ConfigOnPremiseInstall()
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateDatabaseInstaller.Install()
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateAction.Do(IDictionary parameters)
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Shared.CrmAction.ExecuteAction(CrmAction action, IDictionary parameters, Boolean undo)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---, Error, RetryCancel, Option1
07:40:36|   Info| InputResult: Retry
07:40:36|   Info| CrmAction execution time; DBUpdateAction; 00:00:10.8450897
07:40:37|   Info| Found the older table DBUpdateInstallInfo_V5, updating new table and deleting
07:40:37|   Info| Updating table with older rows: DBUpdateInstallInfo
07:40:37|   Info| InstallerException: Invalid column name 'MajorVersion'.
07:40:37|  Error| System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid column name 'MajorVersion'.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateInstallInfo.CreateTablesIfNotExists()
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateInstallInfo..ctor(CrmDatabase database)
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateDatabaseInstaller.ConfigOnPremiseInstall()
   at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Shared.CrmAction.ExecuteAction(CrmAction action, IDictionary parameters, Boolean undo)
07:40:38|   Info| InputResult: Retry
07:40:38|   Info| CrmAction execution time; DBUpdateAction; 00:00:01.3742505
07:40:38|   Info| Found the older table DBUpdateInstallInfo_V5, updating new table and deleting
07:40:38|   Info| Updating table with older rows: DBUpdateInstallInfo
07:40:38|   Info| InstallerException: Invalid column name 'MajorVersion'.
07:40:38|  Error| System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid column name 'MajorVersion'.
07:40:39|   Info| InputResult: Retry
07:40:39|   Info| CrmAction execution time; DBUpdateAction; 00:00:01.3431065
07:40:40|   Info| Found the older table DBUpdateInstallInfo_V5, updating new table and deleting
07:40:40|   Info| Updating table with older rows: DBUpdateInstallInfo
07:40:40|   Info| InstallerException: Invalid column name 'MajorVersion'.
07:40:40|  Error| System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Update.DBUpdateAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid column name 'MajorVersion'.

Scott Tocher responded on 19 Dec 2013 6:50 AM
My Badges

I have the same.

Christian Ternek responded on 19 Dec 2013 6:55 AM
My Badges

Great, that I am not the only one :)

I played around with it today and found following workaround:

1) uninstall CRM 2013

2) delete the MSCRM_CONFIG Database

3) Install CRM 2013 with a new blank org

4) updated the server with RU 1.--> works now with the new MSCRM_CONFIG without problems

5) imported my original organization without problems.

Therefore it looks for me as if the upgrade from MS CRM 2011 to MS CRM 2013 made something wrong with the MSCRM_CONFIG and RU 1 can not handle it correctly

Rob Moses responded on 26 Dec 2013 3:38 PM
My Badges

Hello,

I see a pattern here, was your org an upgraded one from CRM 2011.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Rob Moses

Christian Ternek responded on 26 Dec 2013 9:53 PM
My Badges

Yes, it is an upgraded CRM 2011 org, but the problem from what I see is not the Org it self it is the MSCRM_CONFIG. If I uninstall CRM 2013 and delete the MSCRM_CONFIG DB and install CRM 2013 again with a new MSCRM_CONFIG DB I can import the old orgs without a problem.

Therefore I think the upgraded MSCRM_CONFIG is the problem.

George Rizk responded on 26 Dec 2013 10:07 PM
My Badges

Hi All,

We are getting this same error as well.

1. We where fully patched when using CRM 2011

2. In place upgrade from CRM 2011 to CRM 2013 RTM - Upgrade worked perfectly

3. Today tried updating to Rollup 1 for CRM 2013 and received the exact error as per this forum

When we received the error we pressed retry multiple times until we where forced to press cancel. The installation than continued and failed and prompted to reboot the server (Am assuming it did a Rollback during install). After rebooting the server I was able to access the CRM. I checked the version of CRM and it's 6.0.0.809 which is RTM.

The failed upgrade did not appear to damage the database in anyway.

This looks like the engineers at Microsoft did not test the Rollup 1 on a 2013 installation that was previously upgraded from 2011 using in place upgrade.

Microsoft please supply the intended remedy as it seems a modification needs to be done to the MSCRM_CONFIG database prior to installing Rollup 1.

Our configuration was:

Server 2008 R2

SQL 2008 R2

CRM 2011 Fully Patched and In Place Upgrade to 2013 RTM

Help!

George Rizk responded on 26 Dec 2013 11:17 PM
My Badges

Furthermore to add to my above post. 18 months ago we did an I place upgrade on the same server from CRM 4 to 2011.

Help MS!

willmgo responded on 27 Dec 2013 11:45 AM

I had the same error. I also had to uninstall and reinstall a default org, install UR1, then import the org.

George Rizk responded on 27 Dec 2013 12:07 PM
My Badges

As much as I would like to uninstall and reinstall it would be easier for MS to supply an SQL query against the MSCRM_CONFIG database that will allow the installation to complete normally.

Uninstalling and reinstalling is very combersome and frankly is not an option on some production environments.

We will await MS to provide a bulletproof solution.

George Rizk responded on 28 Dec 2013 4:00 AM
My Badges

Team Microsoft how are we looking for a fix to this?

George Rizk responded on 29 Dec 2013 4:26 AM
My Badges

Hi All,

Think I might have found the problem and a solution (unsupported):

dbo.dbupdateinstallinfo is a table from MS Dynamics CRM 4

dbo.dbupdateinstallinfo_v5 is from Dynamics CRM 2011

I have also found that MS Dynamics 2013 uses dbo.dbupdateinstallinfo but the problem is the columns in 2013 have been changed since version 4. During the installation of Rollup 1 it tries to merge the old 2011 records to table dbo.dbupdateinstallinfo which is actually in the v4 format hence why it cant find the columns it expects to find.

The following is completely unsupported by MS but it will get the installation to work:

1. Make a complete backup of your MSCRM_CONFIG database

2. Rename dbo.dbupdateinstallinfo to dbo.dbupdateinstallinfo-old

3. Rename dbo.dbupdateinstallinfo_V5 to dbo.dbupdateinstallinfo_V5-old

4. Run the Rollup 1 installation. During the installation of Rollup 1 it will automatically recreate the dbo.dbupdateinstallinfo table as per a new installation of CRM 2013.

Hope this helps anyone else out there who has done in place upgrades since version 4 of Dynamics CRM.

Rob Moses responded on 2 Jan 2014 2:25 PM
My Badges

Hello George,

Your research is spot on over the issue but we need to dig into this more to analyze what is going on.

I would request someone who is facing the same issue to open up a case with MS.

Thanks,

Rob Moses

George Rizk responded on 2 Jan 2014 2:40 PM
My Badges

Thanks Rob,

The table dbo.dbupdateinstallinfo has no dependencies.

Once I deleted the table Rollup 1 successfully recreated it with the proper columns.

The V5 table is also not needed as it looks like the Rollup 1 attempts to merge it into the dbo.dbupdateinstallinfo table.

After deleting both tables the Rollup 1 worked absolutely perfectly.

As explained above as the table does not have any dependencies and I don't need a record of previous rollups installed for version 4 or 2011 of CRM deleting the tables should work perfectly and be bullet proof.

Looking forward to the official response from Microsoft.

George Rizk responded on 2 Jan 2014 3:02 PM
My Badges

Further adding to the above Rob,

When you uninstall CRM and remove the MSCRM_CONFIG database than reinstall as per the workaround offered by Christian you actually forfit the contents of the dbo.dbupdateinstallinfo further adding wait to the proposed solution above.

Happy days!

Eugene_Palmer responded on 26 Mar 2014 8:20 AM
My Badges

Hi All,

Thank you for your work on this.  I had the same problem, also with an organization that has been upgraded over the years.  Deleting the dbupdateinstallinfo tables allowed the RU 1 to succeed.

Since I was looking at a restore to repair the broken system your solution was immensely appreciated.

E. Palmer

Ricardo S. Becker responded on 24 May 2016 10:56 PM

George, your workaround solution works fine for me. Thank you !

CRM 2013 + SQL 2008 R2 + Win2K8 R2

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS