CRM2011 RU16 OnPremise - Cannot import a Solution into existing database with a custom Activity entity with RU16

CRM2011 RU16 OnPremise - Cannot import a Solution into existing database with a custom Activity entity with RU16

This question is answered

When importing a Managed Solution into CRM 2011 RU16 OnPremise getting error :-

A managed solution cannot overwrite the OptionSet component with Id=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX which has an unmanaged base instance. The most likely scenario for this error is that an unmanaged solution has installed a new unmanaged OptionSet component on the target system, and now a managed solution from the same publisher is trying to install that same OptionSet component as managed. This will cause an invalid layering of solutions on the target system and is not allowed.

This has only appeared after RU16.  The optionset named 'rasv_document_leftvoicemail'. The entity 'Document' is a Custom Activity Entity.   I'm fairly sure this is related to the 3 fixes that Microsoft applied in RU16 relating to the LeftVoiceMail fields (which I think was related to a problem with upgrading from CRM 2011 to CRM 2013).  We have also seen this in another Solution with the optionset named 'adx_rating_leftvoicemail' which is also a custom Activity entity.

I think I could 'hack' a solution in by inserting items into the metaschema tables, but really don't want to.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Verified Answer
  • Hi all,

Marc, Lufog, SZ EPRIK and Phil – thanks for confirming you have this issue or a similar issue.

SZ EPRIK – I can confirm we are also getting this issue with OverriddenCreatedOn on other solutions.

Cezar – If I had been the only one with the issue I would have logged a support request.  The problem with a support issue isn’t the $300, but the cost in man hours in replicating and packing the issue, logging the issue, dealing with Microsoft support and opportunity cost.  This effort isn’t refunded. Given the number of instances with this issue I think you might want to get on the front foot and replicate internally.

Solution - We have uninstalled RU16 and reverted to RU15.  The steps involved are this (luckily this only impacted our Development environment)  :-

1. Confirm you have a database backup of RU15 Customisation Organisations (where you get the Managed Solution from)

2. Confirm you have a database backup of RU15 Business Organisations (Dev, Test etc)

3. Uninstall RU16

4. Re-install RU15 (seems to make things in a better shape)

5. Remove from Deployment Manager Organisations

6. Restore from backup RU15 Organisations (both Customisation and Business)

7. Import back into Deployment Manager

Note:  If you do not have the Customisation, or Business Organisations to rollback to, or have done too much effort in the Business organisation then you’re in a bit of trouble - maybe start fixing any new Solution files as suggested by Lufog.

I would strongly recommend to any OnPremise MSCRM 2011 clients that if you have Managed Solutions that you avoid RU16.

Thanks
    Glenn

All Replies
  • Hi Glenn,

First of all please be informed that any interference with the SQL database which is not done through the UI or SDK will land you in an Unsupported scenario.

I am not entirely sure this would be caused by updating to UR 16 as the error message clearly describes you are running into a layering issue as the option set you are brining in the organization via a managed solution(making the option a managed component) is already present in the system in an unmanaged state.

Normally your options would be to either remove the already existing option set(which resides in an unmanaged state) or extract the option set from this managed solution and put it into an unmanaged solution thus being able to modify the already existing option set from your organization.

I would recommend you open a Support Incident with us to have a closer look at your issue.

Thank you for using Microsoft Dynamics CRM Communities

Cezar Lozici

Support Engineer

Microsoft Dynamics CRM

• Hi Cezar,

I think your answer is not quite good. I've installed UR16 this morning and I ran into the same issue.

As I uninstalled UR16 again and I was able to import the solution.

Is opening a Support Incident the only way to report the issue to you guys? (Kinda have a problem with the risk paying 300 $)

Thanks,

Marc

• Hi Marc,

I assure you that the interpretation of the error is the correct one. It should have nothing to do with you installing UR 16 on top of your environment. It could be that whatever resides in UR 16 collides with your customization is some way which triggers this behavior, it is very difficult to say without getting proper logs/traces of the occurrence, that is why I encouraged you to open a Support Incident. additionally please be informed that whenever you open a Support Incident with us if the cause if found to be a product bug (as you are implying ) than that Support Incident is to be close free of charge so you don't have to worry about the cost.

Thank you for using Microsoft Dynamics CRM Communities

Cezar Lozici

Support Engineer

Microsoft Dynamics CRM

• This is definitely a CRM rollup 16 issues, and this is happening with CRM 2013. the workaround i found is

to manually remove this field from the customizations.xml file.

For each custom activity in your solution you will need to find the following:

<attribute PhysicalName="LeftVoiceMail">

Delete everything including the above line and down to the matching </attribute> tag.

• Hi Cezar,

With Update Rollup 16, there has been an update on these two fields. You can see that on this article: support.microsoft.com/.../2872369. The article shows: "Cannot delete managed solution because of IsMapiPrivate and LeftVoiceMail fields." After UR 16, I'm not able to import the new version of a solution, because of problems with these two fields! Only if I enter the customizations XML-file and delete these two attributes.

I think this is a very critical issue on the last update and the CRM Development Team needs to make sure something is done very quickly about this. As far as I can see the issue applies to all custom activity entities.

Marc

• Hi Cezar,

We are experiencing the same issue. We've started to get these error message right after installing RUP 16. Along with the error message, Glenn mentioned in his post, we get another error message:

"A managed solution cannot overwrite the Attribute component with Id=xxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxxx which has an unmanaged base instance. The most likely scenario for this error is that an unmanaged solution has installed a new unmanaged Attribute component on the target system, and now a managed solution from the same publisher is trying to install that same Attribute component as managed. This will cause an invalid layering of solutions on the target system and is not allowed." The attribute is "OverriddenCreatedOn" of custom entities. Which was one of resolved issues in RUP 16: "OverriddenCreatedOn* attribute is missing from V3 Custom Entities."

• Hi SZ EPRIK,

We have the same issue as you describe. Just about to upgrade production system to rollup 16, and found this issue with the OverriddenCreatedOn field when importing a managed solution into our test environment.

Maybe I'll wait till rollup 17?

Phil

• Hi Phil,

I wouldn't upgrade to UR 16, since this is a serious issue. I'm discussing internally to open a service call with MS for this ticket. If I have any further information, I'll post it on here.

Marc

• Hi all,

Marc, Lufog, SZ EPRIK and Phil – thanks for confirming you have this issue or a similar issue.

SZ EPRIK – I can confirm we are also getting this issue with OverriddenCreatedOn on other solutions.

Cezar – If I had been the only one with the issue I would have logged a support request.  The problem with a support issue isn’t the $300, but the cost in man hours in replicating and packing the issue, logging the issue, dealing with Microsoft support and opportunity cost.  This effort isn’t refunded. Given the number of instances with this issue I think you might want to get on the front foot and replicate internally.

Solution - We have uninstalled RU16 and reverted to RU15.  The steps involved are this (luckily this only impacted our Development environment)  :-

1. Confirm you have a database backup of RU15 Customisation Organisations (where you get the Managed Solution from)

2. Confirm you have a database backup of RU15 Business Organisations (Dev, Test etc)

3. Uninstall RU16

4. Re-install RU15 (seems to make things in a better shape)

5. Remove from Deployment Manager Organisations

6. Restore from backup RU15 Organisations (both Customisation and Business)

7. Import back into Deployment Manager

Note:  If you do not have the Customisation, or Business Organisations to rollback to, or have done too much effort in the Business organisation then you’re in a bit of trouble - maybe start fixing any new Solution files as suggested by Lufog.

I would strongly recommend to any OnPremise MSCRM 2011 clients that if you have Managed Solutions that you avoid RU16.

Thanks
    Glenn

• Hi Glenn,

We would be happy to uninstall RU16, but unfortunately we can't do that because of the fixes related to Outlook issues, our users were complaining of a lot. We have to wait for RU17... and I agree with you, others should avoid RU16.

Thanks

Syuzi

• Hi all,

I've opened a support ticket at Microsoft and this is their first reaction regarding the ticket:

"The issue seems to be a bug we’ve just discovered and documented. I’m working on confirming it now."

I'll keep you posted for any new information.

Marc

• Hi Marc,

We are getting the same issue, and fixed that one by editing the XML file. I'm thinking that maybe we don't move to UR16...

Any news on the support incident? I think I'll log one as well.

Ian.

• Hi Ian and others,

I received an update on the case just now. Unfortunately it's not coming to a solution, but at least MS confirms the bug. Here's the update:

"We have the issue escalated internally to the product group as the issue is clearly a bug. Currently we are awaiting a feedback from them. Will keep you posted."

As soon as I have any news from MS, I'll post it here.

Marc

• We have also seen this issue. It is not just limited to CRM 2011 UR16 orgs though. If you apply UR16 to CRM 2011 and then upgrade to CRM 2013, you can also encounter this issue in CRM 2013.

So hopefully Microsoft will issue a fix for both 2011 and 2013.

Matt Wittemann CRM MVP http://blog.clickdimensions.com

• Also opened a support ticket, only to hear that they were working on a HotFix. So, does anyone know where I can send the invoice to MS for all the time I have used investigating this? It's about time they stop using live production systems as their test bunnies..