Question Status

Verified
CNeedham asked a question on 17 Mar 2015 10:37 AM

Dynamics fails to install on Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter with SQL Server 2014 64 bit with the error - Password validation failed. The password does not meet Windows policy requirements because it is not complex enough.

13:52:21|  Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ConfigureCertificateMappings failed. ---> Microsoft.Crm.CrmException: Not all operations were successful:

[<server> : Error System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Password validation failed. The password does not meet Windows policy requirements because it is not complex enough.

What password and how do I resolve this?

Suggested Answer
Andres Guzman responded on 17 Mar 2015 3:33 PM

Hi CNeedham,

My name is Andres Guzman, I'm glad to help you

The error that you commented is more related with your installation with SQL.

I found the next info that maybe help you: msdn.microsoft.com/.../ms161959.aspx

Let me know if you need something else

Regards,

Thank you for using Microsoft Dynamics CRM Communities,

Dynamics CRM Support Blog

Andres Guzman
Support Engineer
Microsoft Dynamics CRM

Verified Answer
CNeedham responded on 18 Mar 2015 8:59 AM

Thanks for your clues, but I think I have got to the answer.

Because I wasn’t granted Active Directory administration permissions, I had to do the install from the command line using an XML config file – maybe I should have mentioned that! I modified a sample from technet.microsoft.com/.../hh699679.aspx but didn’t notice the password in the ConfigDB encryption section needed changing.

I uninstalled and deleted the database, changed the encryption password and then tried to do the install again. This time it got further but produced the following error "Cannot perform 'activate' because the encryption key doesn’t match the original encryption key that was used to encrypt the data."

It still seems to be hanging on to something even after the uninstall?

I then tried one more time, this time completely removing the ConfigDB section. I don't think I need encryption at the moment anyway. This time the install completed!

I would still like to know why it failed with a different encryption password even after uninstalling first though in case I need to turn it on later.

Verified Answer
CNeedham responded on 18 Mar 2015 8:59 AM

Thanks for your clues, but I think I have got to the answer.

Because I wasn’t granted Active Directory administration permissions, I had to do the install from the command line using an XML config file – maybe I should have mentioned that! I modified a sample from technet.microsoft.com/.../hh699679.aspx but didn’t notice the password in the ConfigDB encryption section needed changing.

I uninstalled and deleted the database, changed the encryption password and then tried to do the install again. This time it got further but produced the following error "Cannot perform 'activate' because the encryption key doesn’t match the original encryption key that was used to encrypt the data."

It still seems to be hanging on to something even after the uninstall?

I then tried one more time, this time completely removing the ConfigDB section. I don't think I need encryption at the moment anyway. This time the install completed!

I would still like to know why it failed with a different encryption password even after uninstalling first though in case I need to turn it on later.

Suggested Answer
Andres Guzman responded on 17 Mar 2015 3:33 PM

Hi CNeedham,

My name is Andres Guzman, I'm glad to help you

The error that you commented is more related with your installation with SQL.

I found the next info that maybe help you: msdn.microsoft.com/.../ms161959.aspx

Let me know if you need something else

Regards,

Thank you for using Microsoft Dynamics CRM Communities,

Dynamics CRM Support Blog

Andres Guzman
Support Engineer
Microsoft Dynamics CRM