Windows 10 and Dynamics 2011 Outlook Client

Question Status

Verified
ukwebb asked a question on 2 Aug 2015 11:10 AM

Following the release of Windows 10, I've decided to do a fresh install of the operating system rather than an inplace upgrade.

Everything is fine and works great, but for the Outlook client for CRM, which wont even install.

During the "Preparing..." phase, almost immediately a dialog box appears stating that "Microsoft Dynamics CRM has stopped working"

in event log I see :-

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          02/08/2015 16:52:39
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      RWASUS
Description:
Faulting application name: SetupClient.exe, version: 5.0.9690.1992, time stamp: 0x4f144247
Faulting module name: MSVCR100.dll, version: 10.0.30319.1, time stamp: 0x4ba1dbbe
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x0008d635
Faulting process ID: 0x236c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0cd3b29fdd4e2
Faulting application path: C:\Users\richard\crm\SetupClient.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\richard\crm\MSVCR100.dll
Report ID: 16c8dd7b-ecf4-4808-96b9-0d0e84e33a5e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

The MSVCR100 file is there in the \crm\ folders, and I've manually installed the VC runtime libraries (all of them!) in an attempt to make it install, but so far no successes.

I've also tried this on another computer with win 10 and that does exactly the same thing.

Any ideas anyone?

Frank Lee responded on 2 Aug 2015 12:03 PM

Microsoft CRM 2015 (latest version) is not yet supported on Windows 10.  I think the older version will not be support yet also.  See this link for more details:

https://community.dynamics.com/crm/b/dynamicscrmsupportblog/archive/2015/07/10/dynamics-crm-support-with-windows-10-edge-browser-and-office-2016

Optimus responded on 2 Aug 2015 4:21 PM

Same problem. Need help desperately !! Any solutions anyone?

jcg161 responded on 3 Aug 2015 10:51 AM

I am also experiencing this. FYI - I did an upgrade installation over Windows 8.1 and it worked for nearly a week. This morning, the CRM client began crashing Outlook 2013. Re-installation would not complete on Windows 10.

Wayne Walton responded on 3 Aug 2015 11:42 AM

Dynamics CRM 2011 won't ever be supported on Windows 10, as far as I know.  You'll need to roll back to Windows 8.1 or plan to update to a newer version of CRM once support for Windows 10 is patched to CRM 2013 and 2015 in the next couple months.

Aaron Richards responded on 3 Aug 2015 11:53 AM

The responses here are correct. Dynamics CRM 2011 will not be supported with Windows 10 at this time. The blog posted by Frank contains the relevant details:

community.dynamics.com/.../dynamics-crm-support-with-windows-10-edge-browser-and-office-2016

jcg161 responded on 3 Aug 2015 2:05 PM

It really should be able to run as a legacy program. Our 2013/15 upgrade plans are months away. Simply installing the client in compatibility mode should be able to work, but it does not.

Interestingly, it worked fine for several days (Wednesday until today) until I did an export to Excel, not it will not work at all. It also worked well on a previous Tech Preview build for me, which led us to believe that although it may not be "supported", it would "work".

jchien12 responded on 7 Aug 2015 2:26 PM

So your response was CRM 2011 will not be supported for Windows 10 at this time.  Does that mean Microsoft is still considering patching it so at least the outlook plugin works?

ukwebb responded on 7 Aug 2015 2:53 PM

we can't be the only company in the world using CRM2011, and not particularly wanting to upgrade for no reason, other than to support the latest OS. What is the point of supporting a client OS for 10 years if the products that run upon it expire after 4 ?! There must be some way of allowing this plugin to work even if there isn't full on support.

Aaron Richards responded on 10 Aug 2015 9:59 PM

Support for 2011 has not yet been confirmed. As of this time, no released version of CRM is supported with Windows 10 until the updates have released that are mentioned in the blog. Please keep an eye on that support blog for any changes.

RHTPL responded on 11 Aug 2015 9:10 AM

We've been testing Windows 10 in a lab environment for several months and finally rolled it out to a small group of volunteers in our environment. This exact issue cropped up for us.

We have one user who had the CRM 2011 for Outlook client installed on Windows 7, then upgraded to 10. He claims that this is still working for him, but as he is not on-site I haven't been able to confirm at this time.

Sincerely hoping that this is patched in the near future.

jcg161 responded on 12 Aug 2015 6:38 AM

I can confirm that the client works when you upgrade from Windows 8.1 in Outlook 2013. When I initially did the upgrade, everything worked well until I exported a view to Excel. This caused an Outlook crash and from then on, Outlook would not open with the client enabled. I also could not reinstall the client - with the errors mentioned here.

I ended up doing a clean installation of Windows 10 to test. The client would not install.

Then, I clean installed Windows 8.1, Outlook 2013, and the CRM Client only, then upgraded to Windows 10 and finished restoring my machine. Since then (over a week), my machine has worked fine.

I will, from now on, use the browser client for anything other that routine work. (exports), since I do not want to go through a restore process.

I have created an image of my machine in this state, just in case.

ukwebb responded on 14 Aug 2015 1:00 AM

Looks like we may not need to panic too much then :)

windows 8 install then upgrade in the short term, until the next rollup is released.

the questions are
 -when will it be released?
- what rollup number will this fix be in
- will we be able to download a fully up-to-date client rather than the current old version which then needs the rollup applying after the initial install.

Verified Answer
GeoTech responded on 14 Aug 2015 1:52 PM

CRM not installing on a clean OS really created a big problem in our Windows 10 pilot program so I dug in and created a workaround that will allow CRM 2011 Outlook client to be installed on a fresh install of Windows 10. Seem like after looking at the log files that the install was crashing when invoking Windows Update and since WU is different in Win10 it cant recover. So I tore apart the log file of a clean install on a Windows 7 computer and then  recreated it on my Win10 test. In do so this stripes off the "SetupClient.exe" wrapper that's making the WU call. I've automated the process using MDT and SCCM but here are the basic steps to follow on a Win10 x64 OS. x86 obviously will require the proper x86 installs.

1. Install Windows 10
  2. Enable the following Windows Feature's
    1. .net 3.5 and 4.6
    2. Windows Identity Foundation 3.5
  3. Install Office (x86 2013 in my case)
  4. Manually Download and install the following CRM client pre-req's (get them here)
    1. SSCERuntime_1033_x86.msi (SQL Compact Edition x64)
    2. SSCERuntime_1033_x64.msi (SQL Compact Edition x64)
    3. msoidcli_1033_64.msi (Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant)
    4. wllogin_64.msi (Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant)
    5. ReportViewer.exe (ReportViewer 2010 ver10.0.30319)
  5. Extract the CRM Install files (CRM2011-Client-ENU-i386.exe /extract:c:\mypath)
    1. Create the log file folder structure  (MD  C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs)
    2. Install Error reporting
      1. msiexec /i "C:\mypath\DW\DW20Shared.msi" /LV* "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs\watson.log" /qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress APPGUID={0C524D20-0409-0050-8A9E-0C4C490E4E54} REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus
    3. Start the main CRM install
      1. msiexec /i "C:\mypath\Client.msi" INSTALLLEVEL="3" INSTALLTYPE="INSTALL" SOURCEFOLDER="C:\mypath" TARGETDIR="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics CRM" INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics CRM" /l+ "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs\crm50clientmsi.log" LOGFILE="C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs\crm50clientmsi.log"    ALLOWRUN="1" REBOOT=ReallySuppress NOSELECTION=1
    4. Install the language pack
      1. msiexec /i "C:\mypath\MUISetup_1033_i386.msi
    5. Install RU 18 for CRM 2011 as usual
    6. Done!

Some of the installs are running silent so they do not give you GUI confirmation that the install completed successful, check the logs if in doubt.

Likes others here, we've been testing Win10 with CRM 2011 via OS upgrade and had no problems. So far with this install method everything seems to work. Interested to hear if others have an issue with CRM AFTER the install.

Hope this helps with testing until the official update comes out. Ken

ukwebb responded on 15 Aug 2015 8:37 AM

Thanks GeoTech :)  - Your fix works like a charm :)  I skipped 4.1 and 4.2(SQL EXPRESS) as I  don't need it off line, and success - CRM in Outlook :) - thanks so very much - and to the other folk reading, just follow his Geotech's guidance above.

Verified Answer
GeoTech responded on 14 Aug 2015 1:52 PM

CRM not installing on a clean OS really created a big problem in our Windows 10 pilot program so I dug in and created a workaround that will allow CRM 2011 Outlook client to be installed on a fresh install of Windows 10. Seem like after looking at the log files that the install was crashing when invoking Windows Update and since WU is different in Win10 it cant recover. So I tore apart the log file of a clean install on a Windows 7 computer and then  recreated it on my Win10 test. In do so this stripes off the "SetupClient.exe" wrapper that's making the WU call. I've automated the process using MDT and SCCM but here are the basic steps to follow on a Win10 x64 OS. x86 obviously will require the proper x86 installs.

1. Install Windows 10
  2. Enable the following Windows Feature's
    1. .net 3.5 and 4.6
    2. Windows Identity Foundation 3.5
  3. Install Office (x86 2013 in my case)
  4. Manually Download and install the following CRM client pre-req's (get them here)
    1. SSCERuntime_1033_x86.msi (SQL Compact Edition x64)
    2. SSCERuntime_1033_x64.msi (SQL Compact Edition x64)
    3. msoidcli_1033_64.msi (Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant)
    4. wllogin_64.msi (Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant)
    5. ReportViewer.exe (ReportViewer 2010 ver10.0.30319)
  5. Extract the CRM Install files (CRM2011-Client-ENU-i386.exe /extract:c:\mypath)
    1. Create the log file folder structure  (MD  C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs)
    2. Install Error reporting
      1. msiexec /i "C:\mypath\DW\DW20Shared.msi" /LV* "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs\watson.log" /qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress APPGUID={0C524D20-0409-0050-8A9E-0C4C490E4E54} REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus
    3. Start the main CRM install
      1. msiexec /i "C:\mypath\Client.msi" INSTALLLEVEL="3" INSTALLTYPE="INSTALL" SOURCEFOLDER="C:\mypath" TARGETDIR="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics CRM" INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics CRM" /l+ "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs\crm50clientmsi.log" LOGFILE="C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs\crm50clientmsi.log"    ALLOWRUN="1" REBOOT=ReallySuppress NOSELECTION=1
    4. Install the language pack
      1. msiexec /i "C:\mypath\MUISetup_1033_i386.msi
    5. Install RU 18 for CRM 2011 as usual
    6. Done!

Some of the installs are running silent so they do not give you GUI confirmation that the install completed successful, check the logs if in doubt.

Likes others here, we've been testing Win10 with CRM 2011 via OS upgrade and had no problems. So far with this install method everything seems to work. Interested to hear if others have an issue with CRM AFTER the install.

Hope this helps with testing until the official update comes out. Ken

Suggested Answer
PDRothman responded on 14 Oct 2015 3:56 PM

I was able to get Dynamics CRM 2011 working with Windows 10.  I had to download and install IE 11 manually and make it my default browser.  Once I did that and rebooted the CRM Outlook toolbar came back on and works fine.  As a side not this also fixes the Cognos 8 report studio that will not work in Edge.