Unable to update Security role privilege

Question Status

Verified
Nithin.K asked a question on 1 Aug 2016 5:55 AM

Hi Experts,

Can any on able to find out what type of error is this while updating the security role, i am having system administrator role which i am using.

log file:

Unhandled Exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.OrganizationServiceFault, Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35]]: Invalid privilege depth.Detail:
<OrganizationServiceFault xmlns:i="www.w3.org/.../XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="schemas.microsoft.com/.../Contracts">
<ErrorCode>-2147216373</ErrorCode>
<ErrorDetails xmlns:d2p1="schemas.datacontract.org/.../System.Collections.Generic" />
<Message>Invalid privilege depth.</Message>
<Timestamp>2016-08-01T09:27:35.0876929Z</Timestamp>
<InnerFault i:nil="true" />
<TraceText i:nil="true" />
</OrganizationServiceFault>

i am not able to edit security role ,for some it is possible and some i cant edit.

Any suggestion appreciated....

Regards,

Nithin 

Suggested Answer
Mark Christie responded on 1 Aug 2016 11:55 AM

This error is usually exactly as it says it is - Can you put a picture up of the roles the account you are using has

Nithin.K responded on 2 Aug 2016 12:02 AM

I am using system Administrator and s/m customiser role in which i am trying to update the role..

Regards,

Nithin

Nithin.K responded on 2 Aug 2016 12:10 AM

like sales user,business finance,delivery.....etc

@claire responded on 2 Aug 2016 5:04 AM

HI Nithin,

I believe this is an issue within CRM. I can reproduce the issue you report and get the exact same error.  I cannot update any standard out of the box CRM roles however I can update custom security roles. As a workaround I suggest you add a new custom security role containing the required access level settings and assign this role to your user(s)

Hope this helps.

TK responded on 2 Aug 2016 5:13 AM

Do you have the role you are trying to edit assigned to yourself in addition to the system admin role?

Nithin.K responded on 2 Aug 2016 5:37 AM

yes i know and also tried to copy the role and update it, it will work .....but the issue is i have some js code to fetch the security role and some plugins

if i copy role it doesn't allow me to duplicate with same name.

Before it was working correctly now it has stopped

no i have only admin role

Thanks,

Nithin

@claire responded on 2 Aug 2016 5:56 AM

Hi,

I have opened a ticket for this with Microsoft to see if this is a code issue or if it is a design change where out of the box roles can no longer be modified but should be handled by custom roles only. I will keep you posted.

Rgds, Claire

Nithin.K responded on 2 Aug 2016 6:01 AM

thanks i have also raised service request with MS team , waiting for their support team to reply

Regards,

nithin

Tim Dailey responded on 8 Aug 2016 10:01 AM

Please update the post with your findings

Marianne Christensen responded on 9 Aug 2016 5:06 AM

I have a client with same issue. Please keep us posted.

Tim Dailey responded on 9 Aug 2016 8:24 AM

I have found that I am able to copy/edit roles in my sandbox, which is 2016 Online - Update 1 version.   With that finding, I scheduled my update for production environment tonight.  I think Update 1 fixes this issue, but not 100% sure until tomorrow.

Nithin.K responded on 10 Aug 2016 12:11 AM

its already updated to 2016 online update 1.......i am getting this issue in sandbox instance in production its all working fine.

Thanks,

Nithin

Verified Answer
Tim Dailey responded on 15 Aug 2016 10:24 AM

Hello everyone - I ended up opening a support ticket with Microsoft on this and it is a known issue (even though they don't respond to all the postings on the subject)

Results from that were successful and I can now edit/copy security roles as the Admin.

Synopsis:

Issue: System administrator in the CRM instance is unable to copy or edit the security role after the upgrade to 2016 Update 1.0

Resolution Provided: This is basically being caused by the DataPerformanceDashboard privileges having incorrectly added entries in the RolePrivileges table with a depth of 0 in the database. The actual value should be 1. The operations team deleted all entries in the RolePrivileges table that had PrivilegeDepthMask = 0 and got the issue resolved. Please sign in to your CRM instance and check if you are able to edit or copy the security roles.

Karsten Wirl responded on 15 Aug 2016 10:44 AM

Hello Tim.

Thanks for your response.

Verified Answer
Nithin.K responded on 16 Aug 2016 12:17 AM

Hi guys,

Tthis is what i got reply form MS Team

Thank you for your time over the phone today. As per your permission, I am closing this case now. It was my pleasure to serve you during your queries over this service request.   I hope that you were delighted with the service provided to you.  I am providing you with a summary of the key points of the case for your records. If you ever have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Problem /Issue :  User "Tejaswi" is getting the error : " Role Error- Users cannot add privileges to or change access levels for roles to which they are assigned. For help with changing a role, contact your Microsoft Dynamics CRM administrator.  " while updating the security role named : Security Role : Sales Head - Global for the CRM organization URL :

Solution : As this is found to be a known issue which will be addressing in the next update roll up release. Suggested to provide the organization level privileges to Data Performance Dashboard in order to resolve this issue.

1.       Navigate to Settings>Security>Security Roles.

2.       Open the Security role and navigate to Core Records.

3.        Assign the Organization level privileges to Data Performance Dashboard entity.

4.       Save and close the record.  

Tejaswi , We assure you that customers are our top priority and we are committed to serving our customer’s needs. Our goal is to provide our customers with quality, reliable products and service, and if we discover an issue with our service, we will work to correct it.

It has been a pleasure working with you and I hope to get the chance to work with you again in the near future.

We appreciate your business with us. Thank you. Have a wonderful day ahead!

Regards,

Nithin

Verified Answer
Tim Dailey responded on 15 Aug 2016 10:24 AM

Hello everyone - I ended up opening a support ticket with Microsoft on this and it is a known issue (even though they don't respond to all the postings on the subject)

Results from that were successful and I can now edit/copy security roles as the Admin.

Synopsis:

Issue: System administrator in the CRM instance is unable to copy or edit the security role after the upgrade to 2016 Update 1.0

Resolution Provided: This is basically being caused by the DataPerformanceDashboard privileges having incorrectly added entries in the RolePrivileges table with a depth of 0 in the database. The actual value should be 1. The operations team deleted all entries in the RolePrivileges table that had PrivilegeDepthMask = 0 and got the issue resolved. Please sign in to your CRM instance and check if you are able to edit or copy the security roles.

Verified Answer
Nithin.K responded on 16 Aug 2016 12:17 AM

Hi guys,

Tthis is what i got reply form MS Team

Thank you for your time over the phone today. As per your permission, I am closing this case now. It was my pleasure to serve you during your queries over this service request.   I hope that you were delighted with the service provided to you.  I am providing you with a summary of the key points of the case for your records. If you ever have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Problem /Issue :  User "Tejaswi" is getting the error : " Role Error- Users cannot add privileges to or change access levels for roles to which they are assigned. For help with changing a role, contact your Microsoft Dynamics CRM administrator.  " while updating the security role named : Security Role : Sales Head - Global for the CRM organization URL :

Solution : As this is found to be a known issue which will be addressing in the next update roll up release. Suggested to provide the organization level privileges to Data Performance Dashboard in order to resolve this issue.

1.       Navigate to Settings>Security>Security Roles.

2.       Open the Security role and navigate to Core Records.

3.        Assign the Organization level privileges to Data Performance Dashboard entity.

4.       Save and close the record.  

Tejaswi , We assure you that customers are our top priority and we are committed to serving our customer’s needs. Our goal is to provide our customers with quality, reliable products and service, and if we discover an issue with our service, we will work to correct it.

It has been a pleasure working with you and I hope to get the chance to work with you again in the near future.

We appreciate your business with us. Thank you. Have a wonderful day ahead!

Regards,

Nithin

Suggested Answer
Mark Christie responded on 1 Aug 2016 11:55 AM

This error is usually exactly as it says it is - Can you put a picture up of the roles the account you are using has