Mobile app API that can be used with Customer portal users.

Question Status

Suggested Answer
Jeremy Whiteley asked a question on 31 May 2017 7:48 PM

I want to create a mobile app using Xamarin forms that customers (Portal users, NOT internal Users of the Dynamics CRM ) can use to access some account information related to their account.     

Is there an web API that can be called that could authenticate customer portal users and also create a customer portal user within Dynamics 365?        

aryckman responded on 6 Oct 2017 1:03 AM

Hi Jeremy,

I'm interested in your point. How did you manage ?

Thx

Jeremy Whiteley responded on 6 Oct 2017 5:18 PM

I haven't been able to figure out how to do this.   I have asked Microsoft support and they don't know as well.   Have you looked into this as well?  

Suggested Answer
Martijn Eikelenboom responded on 10 Oct 2017 8:30 AM

A solution I have seen presented by http://colinvermander.com/ was to make sure your portal uses an external authentication method and not the native email & password. If you have that implemented you can create your own webapi that uses the samen authentication and you can link your portal user to your api user based on the external authentication method.

To make sure I keep this option open in one of my implementations I'm using Azure B2C. Unfortunately I'm not able to successfully configure it at the moment. But you could also use Azure AD, Google, Facebook etc.

Suggested Answer
Martijn Eikelenboom responded on 10 Oct 2017 8:30 AM

A solution I have seen presented by http://colinvermander.com/ was to make sure your portal uses an external authentication method and not the native email & password. If you have that implemented you can create your own webapi that uses the samen authentication and you can link your portal user to your api user based on the external authentication method.

To make sure I keep this option open in one of my implementations I'm using Azure B2C. Unfortunately I'm not able to successfully configure it at the moment. But you could also use Azure AD, Google, Facebook etc.